what chickens lay BIG BROWN EGGS

miron28

Songster
11 Years
Sep 8, 2008
lenoir north carolina
i have RIR, Domaneckers and buff orpingtons. and all i get out of these chickens are small eggs! i have had them almost year now and i am about to get rid of them. so what kind of chicken should i buy that lays either double yoke eggs, or the big brown egg?

...maybe try a different signature line...
wink.png

Seriously, though: I have Barred Rocks, they're a year old, and lay a pretty good size, light brown egg...

Double yolked eggs are a abnormality that happens when a new layer is still getting her egg laying cycle together. They lay double yolks for a little while, the their cycle gets into its natural rythem and the lay single yolks.

I don't know why your RIR's aren't laying large eggs.
Mine lay large to extra large, just like my barred rocks and sex links do.

My Marans lay a very dark and very large egg. I have also found that almost all of the sex linked birds lay quite large eggs. My Marans do not lay every day but the eggs are huge and certainly dark.

RIR's White Rocks, Balck Ausssies, SLW's. Your RIR should be laying a nice big brown egg. My RIR's are only 22 weeks old and they are laying large eggs.

What are you feeding your girls? My husband thinks our chickens started laying so early because of all the treats they get each day.

we have six red sexlinks and we have been getting large to jumbo since they started laying 8/3

I actually started tracking the sizes this weekend

so far on friday we got 2.7 oz, 2.6 oz, 2.1 oz, 2.1 oz and 1.9 oz, forgot to weigh the last one but I think probably 1.9 oz (the 2.7 and 2.6 were double yokers)

sat we got 1.9, 2.6, 2.0, 2.0, 2.5 and 2.0

today we got 2, 2.1, 1.8 (slacker
tongue.png
), 1.9, 2.1 and 2.2

we have gotten at least 2 other double yoke eggs including our 1st egg on 8/3

i feed them southern states laying pellets 16% protein. and what ever i pick over from the garden! i got one brown Leghorn that lays a giant egg but she does that only once a week. other then that i get small eggs and i am trying to sell them but when all i get is small eggs i am forced to sell them for .50 a dozen so i can get rid of them and even at that price i still have a hard time selling them.

You could call your local feed store and they probably can order you a plain chicken that is breed for their eggs only. They are called browns and blacks. They are not fancy. Just a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom