what chickens lay BIG BROWN EGGS

My Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps laid the largest eggs. The Orps look a bit longer to get to the XL and Jumbo eggs. Their egg size hit big sizes after laying for 2-4 months from their first egg.

Matt

Hi,

Google "Braggs Mountain Buff", I plan to try this breed as soon as I can find some that are available. I'd take chicks or fertile eggs & hatch them myself.

Matt

Quote:
Fordmommy-did you (or your feed store) order the browns and blacks from Sunnyside Hatchery in Beaver Dam? I got 8 brown pullets from them. Only 14 weeks old tho... I know a few people with "Browns", and they lay huge brown eggs.
Lol sorry for the hijack, but what fordmommy told you is correct. Brown and Black isonly that particular hatchery's way of naming Red and Black Sexlinks. Find some sexlinks if youreggsdont get any bigger and you should be pleased, because I also heard they lay pretty much every day!
Good luck!!!!

I was very disappointed in my RIR's from Ideal hatchery. The eggs were smallish and very pale, cream colored. I used to love the eggs of the Dark Cornish. They are dark and huge. The birds are not pretty though, but tough and durable. I got double yolkers out of a few of them almost every time. The brown leghorn lays a huge egg, it's just white.
barnie.gif
They also rustle about and live forever, eggs getting bigger each year. You might like the Cuckoo Marans, a huge, dark egg. Get them from a breeder though. So many decisions. HenZ

A friend of mine was getting large double and triple yolked eggs from his Golden Comets shortly after they came into lay.

One of my black Austrolorps lays an enormous brown egg. One of my larger BR's lays the puniest egg. Its pathetic looking.
idunno.gif
, its all in the genes

Back
Top Bottom