What color breed is this hen?

It is a cross, but of a solid bird like a RIR rooster over a barred breed like a barred rock. The hens come out like that and the roosters will be barred.
I am going to sound stupid here but what does barred mean? I am learning as we go. the chicks were going to be destroyed so I took them. My wife said the white ones fight a bit so she thought they must be roosters. I would be over the moon if they are all hens or at least if the white ones were. Thanks for your help.

3 months roughly

If they're three months old, then they're definetly all pullets. Pullets and hens will occasionally squabble to define the hierarchy, or pecking order, in the flock.
Here is how you can tell the difference between a male and female at this age.
Saddle Feathers.jpg

I am going to sound stupid here but what does barred mean? I am learning as we go. the chicks were going to be destroyed so I took them. My wife said the white ones fight a bit so she thought they must be roosters. I would be over the moon if they are all hens or at least if the white ones were. Thanks for your help.

Barred is a pattern of color on the feather. Barred Rocks, like this one, is a barred bird. So is a cuckoo marans...
Plymoth Barred Rock.JPG

If they're three months old, then they're definetly all pullets. Pullets and hens will occasionally squabble to define the hierarchy, or pecking order, in the flock.
Here is how you can tell the difference between a male and female at this age.
View attachment 1391935

Barred is a pattern of color on the feather. Barred Rocks, like this one, is a barred bird. So is a cuckoo marans...
View attachment 1391937
Brilliant. Thank you so much. Great help.

Back
Top Bottom