1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color egg would a Buff Orpington x Easter Egger lay?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sierrarod, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sierrarod

sierrarod Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Reedley
    Thinking about hatching a few. I am assuming brown, but wanted to make sure.
    Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Depends on the Easter Egger [​IMG] You might get green, olive green, golden-brown, or just plain brown.

3. elisavet68

elisavet68 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Just hatched a few of my Buff orp and EE chicks. And wondered what color egg you ended up getting with this mix?
    My rooster is the EE and hen the orpington.

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    So far, in my experience, brown.

I have eight hens that I hatched myself that were all EE with a brown egg layer (BL), and the first generation always laid brown eggs.

Now when I breed THOSE crosses back to an EE (to make 75% EE, 25% BL), they start laying odd colors like goldish, light green, and greenish brown. Some still laid brown, others still laid olive green. But the 75/25 chickens just had a big variety of egg colors, where as the 50/50 chickens were all still brown.

EDITED TO SAY: By the way, the Rooster that fertilized the eggs was always EE. It was the hens that were purebred BL or an EE/BL mix.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    who is male and who is female

if orp is male then likely brown

if EE is male then likely green

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Gender makes no difference. The gene for blue eggshells is dominant, so if the bird has it, it will show. It is also autosomal, meaning it can be inherited from either father or mother. THe genes (many of them) for brown eggs actually cause a layer of pigment to be "painted" over the eggshell. A blue eggshell with a brown layer of pigment will be green. A blue eggshell without the brown layer of pigment will be blue. A white eggshell with a brown layer of pigment will be brown and a white eggshell without a brown layer of pigment will be white. The brown pigment can be sanded off; blue permeates the shell, and if you look at the inside of the shell, it too is blue.

There are some sex-linked egg colour genes, but blue is not one of them.

The birds with a pea comb from this hatch are the ones most likely to lay a green egg.

7. I do so enjoy reading your posts. Thanks!

8. elisavet68

May 7, 2012
    Do you know what to look for in the Easter Egger. My roo is the EE mated with a BO. I heard having a pea comb would create a blue egg. What is a pea comb look like?
    I love the beautiful colors of your eggs. What kind of EE layed the rich turquoise eggs in your palate?

9. elisavet68

May 7, 2012
    What is a pea comb? Is that found on the hen or the roo? My roo is an easter egger and hen is a buff orp. Hoping there babies will make the green or olive egg.

10. Crazychic13

Crazychic13 New Egg

Aug 8, 2015
    My friend and I are looking to breed for next year she has several roosters and I have hens. I'm looking to breed my easter eggers but am wondering about what rooster. She has a Buff roo/ and Americania roo and Gold laced wyandotte roo.. I have 3 easter eggers I want to breed. Absolutely love the coloring of my girls. Plus I'm thinking about breeding my jersey giant.. Any help would be appreciated :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by