What color is he?

“Columbian” the variety is silver based. Columbian in terms of genetics just refers to the pattern, not the specific silver version of the pattern. For example, buff brahmas are buff columbian, and RIRs are pretty close to red columbian (they lack the black neck feathers, so are specifically black tailed red, which is pretty close to columbian)
Okay. I'm just unaccustomed to the need to specify silver when referring to the color variety Colombian. But it makes sense that you'd need to for genetics talk.

Thank you so much! Is there by chance s spreadsheet or some kind of table that shows all the different mixes and outcomes? I’m looking to do several projects and I’m trying to see what color hens would be the best. Like for example what would a blue hen look like with all different shades of rooster etc etc.
Not that I know of, unfortunately.

See my self blue Ameraucana cockerel? See the couple of random black tipped feathers near his tail? That's leakage.

Attachments

• 20210906_190428.jpg
    20210906_190428.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 8
See my self blue Ameraucana cockerel? See the couple of random black tipped feathers near his tail? That's leakage.
So I have 2 white leghorn x lavender Orpington cross that has black feathers, would this be considered leakage?
Or is it what My rooster has with his back end being black?

Attachments

• A6A7D1F8-D8FC-4316-BAA8-0C271EDF53DE.jpeg
    A6A7D1F8-D8FC-4316-BAA8-0C271EDF53DE.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 8
Darn, is there a thread with that information? Or is it just scattered in different threads? Also what does “silver leakage” mean? Or look like, and is that bad?
The information is mostly scattered.
Leakage is basically a color that’s not supposed to be there if you’re referring to a specific variety. It usually means that a chicken has extra color genes or not enough of them to make a uniform pattern. A black sex link hen, for example, is black with red leakage. Here’s a black silkie with silver leakage (not my picture):
27552A1C-D51F-44F3-96A7-685A7E535003.jpeg

So I have 2 white leghorn x lavender Orpington cross that has black feathers, would this be considered leakage?
Or is it what My rooster has with his back end being black?
Technically, yes. That pattern is heterozygous dominant white and black, same genetics as paint (except for the lavender gene which isn’t expressing itself because it’s recessive).

Leakage is basically a color that’s not supposed to be there if you’re referring to a specific variety. It usually means that a chicken has extra color genes or not enough of them to make a uniform pattern. A black sex link hen, for example, is black with red leakage. Here’s a black silkie with silver leakage (not my picture):View attachment 2825254
Thank you so much! Also one more question I came up with.
What would the outcome breeding him to a cream silkie be?

Thank you so much! Also one more question I came up with.
What would the outcome breeding him to a cream silkie be?
I’m not sure what the genetics are behind a cream silkie. I’ve seen some pictures and they appear to be splash gold partridge, but it’s hard to tell. If that’s what they are, you would get blue chicks with a mixed silver columbian and silver partridge coloration.

I’m not sure what the genetics are behind a cream silkie. I’ve seen some pictures and they appear to be splash gold partridge, but it’s hard to tell. If that’s what they are, you would get blue chicks with a mixed silver columbian and silver partridge coloration.
Thank you! I’m possible getting a cream with a few others and I didn’t know what would come out of that.

Back
Top Bottom