What color is my hen?

smoothmule

Crowing
13 Years
Apr 12, 2008
Buffalo, Missouri
My Black Spanish hen died last year, she was determined to set her eggs too far from the house and something took her. The dogs here will protect them, killing any kind of predator that comes near but they stay pretty close the the house and barn. Anyway. I hadn't been able to find another black hen locally so I swapped a young tom that I raised here for a hen but she's not black. I'm not sure what her color is, I'm sure it's not a recognized variety but can someone take a look?

She does have a beard and it's black. Her legs are red? The tom has been breeding her and she's laid one egg so far, already in the incubator. This photo doesn't show it clearly enough but her underfluff is bluish.

Here is my tom, he's a pet and kids love to hug and pet him and he follows everyone around for attention, he doesn't seem to know a stranger.

Here is a picture of her in the sun

Thanks for looking, I'll post poult photo's when I get some hatched. These are the only turkeys I have on the place right now. Last fall, my 2 toms had 30 wild hens in the yard with them. The boys were so impressed and strutting their best then a car drove down the road and startled the hens who all flew off together leaving a couple of very confused toms standing there.

Just wanted to add that this hen is penned up because she's new here and because I didn't want to hunt for eggs, so there isn't going to be any chance she is bred to any but my tom. She was previously with a small flock of hens and no toms

She looks like a slate, but with e slight stripes that I see, she must be a cross. I knew you hadthe black Spanish, I have some heritage too and have been hatching out my poults. My Tom is a jersey buff and my hens are slate, sweet grass and red palm. I hatched them out last year on an egg trade. I processed the extra toms last fall. I also have more pure jersey buffs and midget whites in the bator.

Thanks, her underfluff and some parts of her feathers are blue. Another friend told me yesterday she thinks she is blue slate, she said she used to have some and she looks the same. I hope so, black will be a good color to breed her to then. I should get some blacks and blues then? I don't know much about turkey color genetics. Slate isn't something that I get yet, will the blues all be blue slates then? and the blacks just black?

It looks like a blue slate to me to i have a few blue slate hens and they come in different shades of blue i have a dark blue with black spots in the feather, and a few light blue.

Back
Top Bottom