What color is this kitty cat?

Shellybean02

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015

This is Cherish. He is a little kitten I brought in a few days ago (thought he was a girl, named him Cherish and the name stuck). I'm waiting for animal services to come, because I can't really afford another pet right now and I know they will care for him and find him the perfect home. I really love this little kitty^-.-^ Before he goes I just wanted to know what color he is... I'm guessing some sort of tortie or torbie? Here's a site to help pinpoint the exact color: http://messybeast.com/colour-charts.htm

It might be hard to tell from the pictures, but he has an orange tabby face, brown tabby legs and tail, white paws and belly, and in the light you can see stripes on his fur.

That is "Torby," Which is short for tortoiseshell-tabby. Whereas a tortoiseshell is black and orange, a tortie is orange tabby and grey tabby. Generally speaking, only females can be torbies (just like calico and tortoiseshell). It happens very rarely in males, and, when seen in males, is caused by a chromosome abnormality.
She's very pretty :)
I just realized you said she had white paws, which may put her in the calico category

I guess he is an abnormality, because - I beg to differ - I'm pretty sure he's a boy... He may be a bit young to tell, but I could tell a day after I took him in. Thanks for the insight!

Also, calicos have distinct spots of color, like this: callico-cat-names-2-.jpg (300×201), unless they're dilute: dilute-calico-cat-21348469.jpg (400×269)
Tabby: orange: orange_tabby_cat_2.jpg (901×695)
Gray: tabby-cat-hd-still-looking-for-lost-grey-tabby-cat---santa-fe-scoop-awesome.jpg (800×600)
brown: jane-burton-domestic-cat-brown-tabby-cat-lashing-tail-while-watching-something.jpg (366×488)
Tortoiseshell: black https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wo...creen-shot-2014-11-22-at-8-49-12-am.png?w=773
dilute: Epping-Penelope-dilute-tortie.jpg (661×543)
There are just so many variations of these colors it's hard to tell exactly what he is! He's like a unique calico-dilute-tortoiseshell-tabby mix!

I guess he is an abnormality, because - I beg to differ - I'm pretty sure he's a boy... He may be a bit young to tell, but I could tell a day after I took him in. Thanks for the insight!
That means he has an XXY sex chromosome set, rather than XY. The dual-color (black and orange) occurs when one X chromosome has the gene for orange, and the other, a gene for black. Since normal males have an XY chromosome, and the genes for those colors can't exist on the Y chromosome, Calico, tortoiseshell, and torby males have an extra X chromosome.
So you have a dilute torby with white markings, that is a male. You have a very, very special kitty.

I'm not sure how to tell the difference based on age, but he has four spots on his bottom as opposed to the two on a female... That's what has me believing he is a male. Sorry if I'm wrong, it's just hard to tell with such a wee little thing!

I'm not sure how to tell the difference based on age, but he has four spots on his bottom as opposed to the two on a female... That's what has me believing he is a male. Sorry if I'm wrong, it's just hard to tell with such a wee little thing!
You can tell by the difference in distance between the anus and genitals. The distance between the anus and vagina is significantly shorter than the anus and penis. Here is a side-by side comparison of a male and female kitten.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/pumpkinruby/kittensexe1.jpg

Regardless of gender, your kitten will grow to be a gorgeous cat!

You can tell by the difference in distance between the anus and genitals. The distance between the anus and vagina is significantly shorter than the anus and penis. Here is a side-by side comparison of a male and female kitten.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/pumpkinruby/kittensexe1.jpg

Regardless of gender, your kitten will grow to be a gorgeous cat!

Sometimes even breeders have a difficult time sexing a kitten. Not all the time, just sometimes on some kittens. That said, if you face the kitten away from you so you're looking at the back end and you see !, you have a female. If you're looking at : it's a male. This kitten is what is usually a female only color. If it would by chance be a male, its genetic code would be XXY and it would in all likelihood be sterile.

Back
Top Bottom