What color is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LindsayB, May 29, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I was just wondering what color variety my ameraucana pullet falls under. Or is it just a mix?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    well shes pretty but I dont know what color that is

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hmmmm... With those green legs, I would say that what you have there is an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. Those can come in ANY color variety, and I daresay you got lucky, and have a very beautiful little lady there! I LOVE the black beards! What is her name?

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    See when I bought this hen she was just a day old and the people told me she was a araucana....then she grew a tail...and now shes a EE lol

5. sara

sara Title Needed Here

yep easter egger.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, she's a very pretty EE and they do not have any recognized color varieties since they are crosses.

Don't you just love all of the confusion around these breeds? lol

Jody

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

A LOT of people at the feed stores (and elsewhere) just don't know any better because that's what they're told by the hatcheries. It's crazy!

I say we end the madness by barraging the hatcheries with requests to change their "Americauna/Arucauna's" to Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

BTW your pullet is very pretty, I'd say her color is sort of partridge-esk. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i think the color is referred to as.. Partridge? but i have no idea really.

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I say she is more of a black breasted red color, she doesnt have any sort of pencilling.

Ella, we have tried it, we had our 4-H club call MM and they simply said that thats what people are used to. When we tell the feed store they always say that thats what they buy them as so thats what they are. I say we all email the hatcheries in a 2 day period and demand that they change it or we wont buy from them, maybe they will listen then.

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:YES! [​IMG]

Viva la revolution!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by