1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color would I get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Jul 5, 2007.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a pair of White created Chocolate Polish Bantams and a White Crested Blue hen. What color would I get if I put the blue in with the chocolate pair? I also have a White Crested splash hen. The chocolate roo is my only Polish roo. I know that the chocolate or dun gene acts like the blue gene in that you get either chocolate, black or Khaki chicks, but what about breeding the blue gene and the dun gene together?

Georgia

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I'm not sure about the chocolate genetics but I have a blue splash cochin roo that produces 100% blue chicks when crossed with hens of other colors (non-blue, black, white, or splash) or breeds.

3. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Hypothetically you should get 12.5% black, 37.5% blue, 25% chocolate, 12.5% chocolate splash, and 12.5% blue splash.

4. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks. It might be interesting to see just what happens. Who knows they could be really pretty.

Georgia

5. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Oops I missed that you had a splash hen too. Is she blue or chocolate?

6. featherfooted

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    She's blue.

Georgia

7. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Your blue splash to your chocolate rooster should produce only blue, chocolate, blue splash or chocolate splash. How fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by