What colors are my new Button Quail?

outdoorbunny

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 12, 2012
Culpeper, Virginia
Hi everyone, I'm new to BYC and to Button Quails. I have 6 right now. Two are a pair. The male is a Cinnamon Red Breasted and the female is a Blue Face. They are laying eggs like crazy, I just hope she goes broody. (fingers crossed). I have two females, one is splash and the other is a silver tux and They are both laying eggs. I really want to get males for them...so I got two more button quails from a farm swap. They maybe too young to sex....Honestly I have no idea how old they are. Can anyone tell me what color they will be? And if it's too early to sex them. I really hope at least one is a male! I appreciate any help. Thank you!

I can't tell you ANYTHING about button quail! LOL. Other than they sure are tiny and cute.

But I wanted to say...
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for the nice welcome. I've gotten good information for my chickens, guinea fowl, and pheasants on BYC. Now I have these very little button quails and totally fell in love with them. But I know nothing about them. I'm really hoping these two are males. Help please! I'm lost. Lol!

Did the person you got them from tell you anything? they look to be about 7-10 weeks old as they still have some chick feathers on the face. By this age you should be able to tell the males from the female by color but not always. these both look like females to me as neither has a chin strap/mustache but I can not see the tail feathers well. Are they red? usually males have red tail feathers, except for whites lol. you can also vent sex them but I can not explain it you must see the difference. try this site:
http://www.stellar-gamebirds.com/Button-Quail-Information.html

she is on here as well.
also you can join :

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttonquail411/

lots of nice folks with lots of info.
enjoy your buttons they are a kick.
Robin

oh I almost forgot. I hope you are keeping them in single pairs they will fight if not and it can get deadly.

Last edited:
I do have my 6 buttons paired up in separate cages. I was really hoping that these two new ones were males. Neither one is making the earth baser noise. How old are males when the start making that sound?

Thanks Robin for the above info. I just joined that button quail group too. It's nice having people to turn to for advise when I'm confused and clueless! :confused:

between 10-12 weeks. females may even begin laying then or before but if you have 2 in the cage it will still be hard to tell them apart. did you check the site on how to vent check them? If you can catch them and take a photo of the underside/belly/tail area it would help but the only sure way is to listen and watch. Sorry I am not of more help but I also have 7 chicks that are 6 weeks and their coloring changes almost every day but the males have red tail feathers and chin-straps. they have not growled but they all call out to my adult male when he is calling his mate, I get stereo calls...too cute. I keep mine in the living room and have no intention of keeping the chicks. Anyway hope you enjoy your birds. And welcome to buttonquail411!

Back
Top Bottom