What colour is this called?

Seafenton

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
Can anyone tell me what colour this Silkie is called? Not sure it fits the splash description? Thank you

Attachments

• 01CCC5EB-918F-4272-B43F-86A4BE2EF052.jpeg
    01CCC5EB-918F-4272-B43F-86A4BE2EF052.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 11
What a cutie, she is beautiful! :love

I actually think she may be a gray (essentially a silver version of a partridge silkie with just a small difference in penciling). She is very light for a gray but they can really vary in shade. She may even be influenced by columbian genetics given the areas the darker feathers are showing up. I'm not that experienced but I've seen some similar birds in a genetics group and they are called grays or Columbian grays by those much more experienced than I. :)

Post #55 on page 6 of this thread here shows a good example of just how light grays can be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-does-a-grey-silkie-look-like.478550/page-6

Gray is a bit of a lesser known color I've found. I think a lot of people hear "gray" and imagine a uniformly gray colored bird. Blues often are mistakenly called gray by those new to silkie colors and I've seen quite a few light grays more like your girl being mistaken for splash.

Last edited:

I actually think she may be a gray (essentially a silver version of a partridge silkie with just a small difference in penciling). She is very light for a gray but they can really vary in shade. She may even be influenced by columbian genetics given the areas the darker feathers are showing up. I'm not that experienced but I've seen some similar birds in a genetics group and they are called grays or Columbian grays by those much more experienced than I. :)

Post #55 on page 6 of this thread here shows a good example of just how light grays can be.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-does-a-grey-silkie-look-like.478550/page-6

Gray is a bit of a lesser known color I've found. I think a lot of people hear "gray" and imagine a uniformly gray colored bird. Blues often are mistakenly called gray by those new to silkie colors and I've seen quite a few light grays more like your girl being mistaken for splash.
That’s interesting thank you. The flock she came from had either darker grey or blue and the reddish partridge. Will be fun to see how she develops

I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen grey!
exactly as you describe I had several blues in my last hatch that I thought may be gray but ended up being blue when they completely developed their coloring.😊

I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen grey!
exactly as you describe I had several blues in my last hatch that I thought may be gray but ended up being blue when they completely developed their coloring.😊

It's such a pretty color, I think it's a real shame it never become more popular. From what I've seen it sounds like a difficult color to get right to match the standard. Perhaps the breeding difficulty is one of the reasons it is one of the least known standard colors and there is a lot of confusion around it. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom