What comb is this?

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
So, I had no idea what forum to post this in, so sorry if there's a better one! This chick is half blue Ameraucana, and half EE or SLW. Does anyone have any idea what kind of comb it has? I've never seen one quite like it before.
IMG_8846.JPG

The thing is, I hatched three Wyandotte eggs, and I only have two chicks with that kind of comb, all the others have pea combs. Both my Wyandotte hens have rose combs, though one is more lumpy and bigger than the other one.

Or a possible cushion? It has the same combo for walnut since it's just a different type of walnut.
View attachment 2716385
As you said, a cushion comb is a type of walnut comb, so I’d rather just stick with the more general answer of walnut. Cushions also require an extra gene (I believe it’s called “smooth”) and I don’t know where that would come from.
The thing is, I hatched three Wyandotte eggs, and I only have two chicks with that kind of comb, all the others have pea combs. Both my Wyandotte hens have rose combs, though one is more lumpy and bigger than the other one.
It’s likely one or more of your wyandottes is heterozygous for the rose comb gene, meaning they have both a single comb gene and rose comb gene, so they can pass both on to their offspring. However, pea comb is dominant over single, so the remaining wyandotte cross might have a pea comb like the rest of them.
I unfortunately don't have them any more, they got picked off by coyotes, I have one of the rose combed one but not the other two.View attachment 2716681
Did the ones with pea combs have feathered legs?

On the topic of genetics, I have a hen that's half Blue Ameraucana, and half Delaware, but she's silver Birchen. How on earth did she get that way?
I don't believe genetically she'd be silver birchen. She's likely just black with silver leakage! This cross should give you half black and half blue chicks. Delawares are silver which is where the leakage is coming from. I believe Blue Ameraucanas are based on extended black and Delawares on wheaten so I don't believe she could truly be birchen. :) Someone can chime in if I'm wrong!

Here's another pic of her; you can see her front better. She was pretty young here, but still looks the same:
View attachment 3120943
I have been looking on Ameraucana breed forums and it does look like Blue Ameraucanas in particular are based in E^R (birchen) while blacks are based in E (extended black). Blues can however be based on either E locus but to breed for a better laced blue, E^R is recommended. I had mistakenly read that they were based in E but it appears that that is not the case for according to actual breeders. E is dominant over E^R and E^R over the other E locuses so if you crossed an E^R with an e^Wh (what a Delaware is) you would indeed get an E^R or birchen bird! So I believe you're right and she is birchen!

Back
Top Bottom