What comb is this?

I was so surprised when she came out and had no lacing on her at all, just blue all over. Her sister's the exact same way, but her brother had gold leakage on his hackles.
Blue is just a diluter of black and black covers most varieties, dominant white being a common exception. It would make sense that all chicks would turn out to be blue or black! Genetics are interesting!! :D

Blue is just a diluter of black and black covers most varieties, dominant white being a common exception. It would make sense that all chicks would turn out to be blue or black! Genetics are interesting!! :D
On the topic of genetics, I have a hen that's half Blue Ameraucana, and half Delaware, but she's silver Birchen. How on earth did she get that way?

On the topic of genetics, I have a hen that's half Blue Ameraucana, and half Delaware, but she's silver Birchen. How on earth did she get that way?
I don't believe genetically she'd be silver birchen. She's likely just black with silver leakage! This cross should give you half black and half blue chicks. Delawares are silver which is where the leakage is coming from. I believe Blue Ameraucanas are based on extended black and Delawares on wheaten so I don't believe she could truly be birchen. :) Someone can chime in if I'm wrong!

I don't believe genetically she'd be silver birchen. She's likely just black with silver leakage! This cross should give you half black and half blue chicks. Delawares are silver which is where the leakage is coming from. I believe Blue Ameraucanas are based on extended black and Delawares on wheaten so I don't believe she could truly be birchen. :) Someone can chime in if I'm wrong!
Oh, okay. She sure looks birchen, though!
IMG_0726.JPG

Back
Top Bottom