What constitutes "hardy in winter"?

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
I'm planning to add 3 girls to my wee flock in the spring. I want decent layers who are friendly. I'm considering between these varieties:

1. Wyandotte
2. Maran
3. Australorp
4. Buff Orp
5. Silkie (aw, what backyard flock is complete without one?)
6. Easter Egger

Marans are listed as not being winter hardy. I live in WA state - the wet side, not the cold side. Typical winter temps are in the high 30-40s. Are Marans OK in those temps?

Suggestions?

Edited b/c I didn't complete my sentence...

Last edited:
Winter hardy (IMO) = large bodied birds with small combs.
From your list we have had or currently have all except the Marans and havent experienced problems with any of them.

I don't have a wynadotte yet but the rest are doing pretty good in the cold weather in NC . It's freezin and my EE just start laying eggs.
They don't have heat or extra light. They all look pretty happy.
Before I buy my chickens I always check if they are hardy in winter and heat tolerant because it can be pretty hot here.
Good luck
frow.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Marans will be fine in WA state. England is very cold and wet in winter and they are a very popular breed there. I can personally vouche for the Wyandottes, Australorps and Buff Orps as well. The other two I have no experience with. I hope perhaps this helps some
smile.png
Good luck, whatever your choice turns out to be.

I only have silkies and they are without a heated coop they have plenty of nice dry hay and so far they are doing good. This will be my first winter with chickens so I hope everyone is fine. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom