What container for storing feed?

poseygrace

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Georgia
So I live in South Georgia where it is VERY humid (we're talking 90-100% humid most days), and I can't seem to keep feed from going rancid or growing maggots. I have tried plastic storage bins with snap-on lids, as well as a metal "trash can" looking thing with a locking lid that I got at TSC. Neither kept the feed from spoiling. I can't keep it indoors, the coop is way to far away to make that trek every day. Has anyone found a fool-proof way to store feed in heat/humidity?

I doubt if I can help you. I put the entire bag of feed as it comes inside a metal garbage can and bungie the lid. Our squirrels understand lids, but they haven't figured out the bungie cords yet. Anyway, I was having problems with worms in the feed in our humid weather now, too. Then I remembered my grandmother used to put a bay leaf in the corn meal container in the kitchen to keep the meal worms from hatching. I put 3-4 bay leaves in the feed and haven't had any worms since. I don't know what kind of worms you have, you mentioned maggots. Maybe bay leaves will help you, maybe not.

How long are you trying to store the feed and are the feed containers outside or under cover?

I keep milled feed and whole grains in both metal trash cans and plastic drums here in Florida. No problems with either one, but in the summer time feed that has been ground up I don't try to keep for more than a month. Once the weather breaks in the fall it can be kept longer. I keep both my cans and my drums up off the floor by using bricks and boards. This keeps condensation from forming in the bottoms caused by touching the cooler floor. They are under a roof to keep the rain off, but not otherwise climate controlled. Either one should work for you.

This time of year it's not all that uncommon to get feed fresh from the dealer that is weevily so always look at it closely whenever you open a new bag. If it's buggy take it back.

I feel your pain but I also use plastic trash cans and never put the lid on them. That is where the humidity starts eating away at your feed. Leave the tops off inside a air circulated room (mine in in my brooder room with the window and screen door open and a fan runs 24/7). In the summer I have no trouble with mice as they get plenty of food from the fields but in the winter I often have a few mice peering up at me when I go to feed so I catch them up in the feed bucket and call the chickens. They love fresh meat! I also have some great barn cats that are able to stay in my brooder room and never bother my chicks so they help out.

I buy starter mash and laying mash once a week, about 300# of each and have not ever had any go rancid with open barrels.

Do you have a lot of empty , clean glass jars? You'll also need an entire wall of shelves to store the jars, each filled with a one- day's supply of feed. This could be a decorating project, a wall of glass jars, old & new. Each jar filled with something different & interesting.

Glad you asked this question! I am also in HUMID south(west) Georgia. Currently have a 50# bag of feed in my laundry room. Really not the best spot, but did not want to put it outside with the humidity.

I keep a bay leaf wreath in my kitchen, as per my great grandmother, and all the way to me. Works well in keeping the bugs at bay.
wink.png

Quote:
OK here is some of my take:

The enemy of feed is Moisture, Heat, and Predation.

If you can get a hold of an old dead Chest freezer they work great. Steel walls to keep the mousies out insulated to help with the heat. Take the insulating strip off the freezer door so that it doesn't seal completely when you shut the lid. You need air circulation.

For the bugs... The feed may have come that way already. But no matter your environment is against you in that regard. When you open a new bag mix in some Food grade Diatomaceous Earth. Probably a cup would work for a whole bag of feed. What that will do is Slice and dice any bugs and cause them to die and dessicate. Most bugs and maggots are edible to the chickens but they tend to eat the grain as well. Id keep the bag of DE in the chest freezer as well. It would help to keep the moisture down.

If you cant find a Chest freezer plain old Galvanized trash cans work very well. Again mix the feed with DE. Problem with the cans either plastic or steel is they seal too well. Is it possible to build a porch or small storage room that is open but screened with steel window screen? This way you can store your feed and exclude many of the bugs and mice and replace the lids with wood slatted covers lined with the same steel screen.

Also keeping the feed in the bag is a good idea because paper or that plastic woven mesh is a good protector for the feed plus they breathe as well. If you dont want to dump the feed into a bin you can still mix in some DE into the top one third or so. Then as you feed the bag add more DE. Again Keep it in a Galvanized trash can. It keeps the feed from the floor.

I live in the desert and outside temps can get over 105 My extra Dry dog food goes in the freezer. Because of the oil content in the dog food. I am talking the actual freezer I keep my frozen food in.

I hope this helps with some adaptable ideas.

Here in the midst of the Texas drought we have daily 90% humidity. I keep my feed in the paper bag, inside a metal trash can, under a shade tarp attached to the fence & coop. The can is raised off the ground by 4x4s. The can gets some sun every day, which I suspect drives off some moisture.

I am very careful to avoid getting moisture in the can or on the can.

This is not foolproof though. Had two moldy bags of horse feed, but I think that was because of the manufacturer since the mold was already growing in the bag when opened.

I live far far south Louisiana and I keep my feed in galvanized trash cans with lids and its very humid and I never have that happen. If your buying 50lbs at a time may try to buy 25lbs at a time. or even less.

Back
Top Bottom