What container for storing feed?

If you are storing in a container out of the bag, I would think you would need to sanitizes it after seeing bugs. Even if you you empty it bug eggs will be left behind and contamiate the next bag in short order.

Quote:
Are these the type with a sealable, airtight lid? How long will it keep in these barrels?
smile.png

there is 55 gallon drums with sealable lids but they are hard to get off. i have kept feed for amost 4 months.

I live in Louisiana (not far from ya) I use black plastic garbage cans from Dollar General. I also have them in a covered feed room. I'm not sure if the feed room is what keeps it from molding but I've never had a problem with moldy food. And we get the same humidity and heat you do. And I just pour my feed into the can, never had good luck keeping it in the bag.

Last edited:
I keep mine in giant Mylar bags in 5 gallon buckets . The feed stays so fresh and dry. We get buckets from local sandwich shops and wash and bleach out ( used pickle buckets) this winter I will be Mylar bagging 300 pounds and then adding oxygen absorbers to keep fresh and dry for the winter months in my garage We also Mylar all foods we stock up on like pastas etc but that's another story lol

Quote:
I am curious have you ever used CO2 or Dry Ice to displace the oxygen in your containers? I have toyed with this thought because they use it to help preserve wheat for long term storage (disaster preparedness)

http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN-371.pdf

This article says the Dry Ice does not effect the quality of the grain or its ability to sprout if you are storing seed for sprouting. But that it is effective for killing off bugs.

Back
Top Bottom