What could be doing this?

We actually had the chickens winter in the downstairs of our barn. By the time the snow started melting and I was ready to move the chickens to the coop, there wasn't any snow around the coop. We live in the middle of woods so we aren't lacking predators.
Why not set a trail-cam, that is if it’s worth it or you can’t figure it out.

In my experience with chicken murdering dogs they dig under things. I haven't seen a trash panda claw at things like this either. Keep us posted if you use the trail cam
I will. Thank you for your replies. If we had bears in SW Michigan, I'd be leaning that way because of the major damage to the side of the coop within the fence.

I will. Thank you for your replies. If we had bears in SW Michigan, I'd be leaning that way because of the major damage to the side of the coop within the fence.
I had to Google trash panda.:rolleyes:
In my experience with chicken murdering dogs they dig under things. I haven't seen a trash panda claw at things like this either. Keep us posted if you use the trail cam

Well I had to google what kind of critters you do have. Is it possible a cougar is lurking around? They can and will scale things. We had one take out half a flock and leave nothing but footprints and one flattened chicken. They were outside when it happened so no idea if a cougar would claw at something like this but I wouldn't put it past them

Well I had to google what kind of critters you do have. Is it possible a cougar is lurking around? They can and will scale things. We had one take out half a flock and leave nothing but footprints and one flattened chicken. They were outside when it happened so no idea if a cougar would claw at something like this but I wouldn't put it past them
We have had incidences with cougars but nothing that the DNR is talking about in this area, even with pictures of livestock being killed or injured so that might be something worth considering. Thank you for responding and giving me something to think about!!

I would say definitely claw marks. I stained over the original marks which covered about 50% of the front, 30% of the back and over 60% of the coop that was enclosed by the chain link fence. It was scratched down to bare wood. The attached picture is their most recent attempt and no, not too bad yet.

Back
Top Bottom