What could cause this? Thoughts? Help on Correcting?

Beard4

Songster
Apr 12, 2020
North Central Alabama
I have had 2 of 7 chickens in the past month egg bound..

today, I find the 2 lower in the coop (see pic) and the upper (see pic) the porch letting them free range.

I have a mixed flock (2 wyandotte, 1 RIR, 1 golden comet, 2 polish, and barred rock) my girls picked them out šŸ˜Š

I feed them Dumor 16% layer crumble with oyster shells/egg shells on the side. (Someone told me this is too much protein as they free range an hour or 2 a day)
I am not wondering if I got a bad batch of Dumor as these issues didnā€™t start until I started this new bag?

thoughts? Help on correcting?

Attachments

• 6A64F9E2-63A9-435A-B005-6F4F20CCE33A.jpeg
    6A64F9E2-63A9-435A-B005-6F4F20CCE33A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
I have had 2 of 7 chickens in the past month egg bound..

today, I find the 2 lower in the coop (see pic) and the upper (see pic) the porch letting them free range.

I have a mixed flock (2 wyandotte, 1 RIR, 1 golden comet, 2 polish, and barred rock) my girls picked them out šŸ˜Š

I feed them Dumor 16% layer crumble with oyster shells/egg shells on the side. (Someone told me this is too much protein as they free range an hour or 2 a day)
I am not wondering if I got a bad batch of Dumor as these issues didnā€™t start until I started this new bag?

thoughts? Help on correcting?
I feed my chickens 18% protein year round. For laying hens you need protein. Eggs are mostly protein so protein in protein out. Are you feeding oyster shell on the side. Makes for nice shells hard shells. I feed meal worms every day also. They are not a treat in my mind but part of their diet. High in protein. Like 55%.

I feed my chickens 18% protein year round. For laying hens you need protein. Eggs are mostly protein so protein in protein out. Are you feeding oyster shell on the side. Makes for nice shells hard shells. I feed meal worms every day also. They are not a treat in my mind but part of their diet. High in protein. Like 55%.
Yes oyster shells and baked egg shells on the side. I havenā€™t given them meal worms in forever they love themšŸ˜Š

so could it be thea bad batch of foodšŸ˜¬

I doubt you're giving them too much protein. BUT I did read an interesting thread on here once where an entire flock became sick because the owner accidentally bought and used feed that was milled over a year ago. Ever since reading that I check the mill-by dates for all of my feeds. I've been very surprised at the age of some of the feeds in the store! Many nutrients break down after 3-4 months, so ideally buying feed less than two months old and using it before it reaches 3 months of age will give the birds optimal nutrition. As a result of checking mill-by dates, sometimes I end up not even buying layer feed, but buying all-flock or even grower feed because other bags are too old. This winter folks reduce their buying of layer since birds aren't laying, and all of the feather fixer and all-flock was gone, so I bought chick starter for my girls because it was the only thing milled that was less than TWO months old! As you can see, my girls end up eating a wide range of protein levels, but I prefer around 18%. So far I've never had an egg-bound hen, and I've had my flock for three years. I have 18 birds currently, but along the way I've lost four to predators, one to sudden illness (within the week that I received my adult flock for the first time) and another pullet at POL died suddenly at 20 weeks. I cannot exactly rule out reproductive issues as cause of death for her, but I didn't' feel an egg in body either.

I agree with others, it could just be bad luck, but it wouldn't hurt to see how old your feed is.

I doubt you're giving them too much protein. BUT I did read an interesting thread on here once where an entire flock became sick because the owner accidentally bought and used feed that was milled over a year ago. Ever since reading that I check the mill-by dates for all of my feeds. I've been very surprised at the age of some of the feeds in the store! Many nutrients break down after 3-4 months, so ideally buying feed less than two months old and using it before it reaches 3 months of age will give the birds optimal nutrition. As a result of checking mill-by dates, sometimes I end up not even buying layer feed, but buying all-flock or even grower feed because other bags are too old. This winter folks reduce their buying of layer since birds aren't laying, and all of the feather fixer and all-flock was gone, so I bought chick starter for my girls because it was the only thing milled that was less than TWO months old! As you can see, my girls end up eating a wide range of protein levels, but I prefer around 18%. So far I've never had an egg-bound hen, and I've had my flock for three years. I have 18 birds currently, but along the way I've lost four to predators, one to sudden illness (within the week that I received my adult flock for the first time) and another pullet at POL died suddenly at 20 weeks. I cannot exactly rule out reproductive issues as cause of death for her, but I didn't' feel an egg in body either.

I agree with others, it could just be bad luck, but it wouldn't hurt to see how old your feed is.

wow, Iā€™ve never heard this.. the bag is long gone as I store it in a plastic pet container ( donā€™t want to attract bugs).

I will definitely look at the mill dates from now on! It was a brand new batch at TSC but I guess it could have set on the shelf somewhere else too long..

Should I stick to Dumor? And just check the mill date..

wow, Iā€™ve never heard this.. the bag is long gone as I store it in a plastic pet container ( donā€™t want to attract bugs).

I will definitely look at the mill dates from now on! It was a brand new batch at TSC but I guess it could have set on the shelf somewhere else too long..

Should I stick to Dumor? And just check the mill date..
I've used Dumor without problems, but it's always a possibility you grabbed the lonesome bag that's been there for too long. Personally I've recently switched to buying from Southern States. Their feeds are around $14-16 a bag, a little more than Dumor, but they offer way more options there. They even have an 18% layer feed, which is awesome. Tractor Supply doesn't offer that, and their all-flock options are pretty sub-par.

I always keep the bag now! I just put the entire bag into my metal trash can. At the very least you can cut off the tag that has the mill by date for your own reference.

I've used Dumor without problems, but it's always a possibility you grabbed the lonesome bag that's been there for too long. Personally I've recently switched to buying from Southern States. Their feeds are around $14-16 a bag, a little more than Dumor, but they offer way more options there. They even have an 18% layer feed, which is awesome. Tractor Supply doesn't offer that, and their all-flock options are pretty sub-par.

I always keep the bag now! I just put the entire bag into my metal trash can. At the very least you can cut off the tag that has the mill by date for your own reference.
I use Modesto millings, It is more expensive, but my girls have used without problems.

Back
Top Bottom