What could have killed my chickens?

Yeah. I went to investigate today and fix up their run and look for holes and low and behold they were behind the coop. Somehow the wood curved leaving a opening and a tiny hole near the other end of the run. There was also more feathers behind the run so yeah.
Thanks for the update.
I'm glad you found the hole.

You could buy a game camera and set it up to see what maybe invading your coop and see where they are coming in. You would be surprised at how little space it takes for an animal to squeeze into to get at what they want. Wild animals are smarter than we give them credit for. I have bantam chickens and one morning i went out and all i found left of that one was her head. There was no sign of entry or exit but the bird was gone without any other trace left but her head. It's crazy how wildlife works, but that's how they survive. Very cunning animals.

You could buy a game camera and set it up to see what maybe invading your coop and see where they are coming in. You would be surprised at how little space it takes for an animal to squeeze into to get at what they want. Wild animals are smarter than we give them credit for. I have bantam chickens and one morning i went out and all i found left of that one was her head. There was no sign of entry or exit but the bird was gone without any other trace left but her head. It's crazy how wildlife works, but that's how they survive. Very cunning animals.
Oh yeah. I am eventually since I’m in college right now but hopefully this month I will invest in one. I also have the help on my cat who showed me another way in the coop which is at the top where the garage and coop meet. She was inside the garage and jumped right into the run onto the coop through a small opening.

Oh! It’s wonderful to hear you’re at college!

Many colleges have ag programs you may participate in....time and energy permitting. Could be fun and it certainly would be an opportunity to get some hands-on experience.

Perhaps they have equipment or funding available for students interested in chickens?

Best of luck with your studies!

Oh! It’s wonderful to hear you’re at college!

Many colleges have ag programs you may participate in....time and energy permitting. Could be fun and it certainly would be an opportunity to get some hands-on experience.

Perhaps they have equipment or funding available for students interested in chickens?

Best of luck with your studies!
Thanks! But yeah I’m in the college of ag and natural resources haha. I’m studying animal science and we got to look at broiler chickens and how their coops are set up. It was cool! There is also a capstone I think in chickens.

Thanks! But yeah I’m in the college of ag and natural resources haha. I’m studying animal science and we got to look at broiler chickens and how their coops are set up. It was cool! There is also a capstone I think in chickens.
Curious, @K_EP-I ...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582389862999.png

Very Cool!

Did they show you how they come up with broilers?

We have raised cornish crosses a few times and processed them. We had freezers full of chicken for the year and gave plenty away as well.

I’ve kept some of the stronger ones in hopes of breeding them, but we had to move mid project so the six I kept out for breeding also ended up getting processed.

It’s great to have a freezer full of good food, but we are hoping to have a system that can be self perpetuated rather than going to TSC buying 50 or so chicks, raising them, butchering them and repeating in the Fall.

Back
Top Bottom