What could I do to keep chickens off of my back patio?

HeatherM123

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2019
I would really like for my chickens to stay in their run. I built a fence out of chicken wire around the perimeter of the yard, but they keep hopping over it. I've clipped their wings and everything, but they still get over. They're pooping all over my patio and causing a big mess. I love my chickens, but I wish they would stay in their run. Any thoughts of what I could build? And where I could go to get the materials? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to design my backyard to be more beautiful. When I plant grass seed in the winter, the chickens get over the fence and eat it right up. They jump over the fend and into my garden as well. It's a nusaince.

What is your budget? How many chickens do you have?
This is what I built. It is contained within about 1/3 acre pen enclosed with a 48" high electro-netted fence powered with a 10,000 volt/1.2 joule charger.
I also have two large planting arrangements in it for the chickens.
run finished.jpg

When the flock was first confined to the pen, they kept flying out by getting up on top of the gates and jumping over. I ended up clippin primaries and secondaries on both wings of most of the birds to keep them confined. They are now acclimated to the pen and no longer try to escape.

I had similar issues, not so much them getting on the house, but moreso tearing up my good flower beds and nice plants. I still wanted them to be "free" though, so I fenced in 1/4 acre run in the woods with 4' tall wire fencing. I did the woods because the hawks by me are crazy, but they can't swoop in the woods- plus I am in NC and it's like 90+degrees for 3-4 months here so the shade is helpful. Been a couple years now and haven't lost a chicken to predation since I moved the whole operation into the woods... Knock on wood.

You could try putting a wire top on the enclosure you have. If looks matter to you, you might want to check out all the ideas for coops and runs on this site. Some of them are real works of art.
Clipping their wing feathers usually keeps them from being able to get much height when they fly, but some lightweight birds don't seem to be fazed by clipped wings. You didn't mention how your predator situation is there, but keep in mind that chicken wire is no defense against dogs, coyotes, raccoons, bears, etc. And if you have hawks or eagles, a top on your enclosure is best. So a sturdy chicken yard fence (the bigger the better) made with 2x4 treated lumber and hardware cloth and some kind of top, at least chicken wire, and a wire apron that comes out from the fence about a foot, and covered with dirt is going to be your best option, in my opinion.

A few lifetimes ago I got fed up with chicken poop on the back patio so I used about 30" chicken wire and fenced in the main part. Even this short of a fence kept all the chickens out except one, and she kept using an old flower pot to lay her egg in. I would just toss her out of the area every evening.

I guess I should've mentioned my living situation. I live right in the middle of the city on less than 1/4 acre. I am just renting. I only have 3 chickens. I need something that can be easily taken down with little hassle. I'm lucky my landlords even let me have chickens. But I love those eggs.

I guess I should've mentioned my living situation. I live right in the middle of the city on less than 1/4 acre. I am just renting. I only have 3 chickens. I need something that can be easily taken down with little hassle. I'm lucky my landlords even let me have chickens. But I love those eggs.
Post a pic of your run.

Back
Top Bottom