What could it be mixed with?

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My neighbor gave me one of her newly hatched chicks in trade for one of mine. The hen is an OEG and the chick looks OEG. Except that the face is a bit speckled and the legs and feet have feathers. None of her birds are feather footed. It is possible the hen had an encounter with another neighbors rooster, but he is a white silkie. Wouldn't the chick be more white if he was the father?

Do you have a picture of the chick in question?

Also what color is the OEG mother? they come in many colors.

There are multiple kinds of white, and only dominant white[like in leghorns] would result in mostly white chicks.

If the silkie is the father it should be easy to tell. The chick would have black legs, a small crest[might not be easily visible yet on chick], and five toes on one or both feet. The last trait sometimes can be missing because polydactyly can be repressed.

Last edited:
Do you have a picture of the chick in question?

Also what color is the OEG mother? they come in many colors.

There are multiple kinds of white, and only dominant white[like in leghorns] would result in mostly white chicks.

If the silkie is the father it should be easy to tell. The chick would have black legs, a small crest[might not be easily visible yet on chick], and five toes on one or both feet. The last trait sometimes can be missing because polydactyly can be repressed.
Agree with this. There are several silkie traits that would show through.

My understanding is silkies are mostly recessive white, so the color of the other parent dominates the chick.

The mom is a red black oeg. She had six chicks hatch and only two were feather footed.

That chick does look like she[until proven otherwise :p] may have some Silkie genes, and since she has the round tufts in front of her eyes, she might grow a small crest as well, but she does not look half Silkie because she lacks the dominant black skin and extra toes. Her father might be a Silkie mix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I am hoping for her to be a her. :) She is my first feather footed bird. It will be interesting to see what she looks like all grown up.

Back
Top Bottom