What could take a chicken without a trase

Andersonfamhomestead

In the Brooder
Sep 9, 2020
I am missing a 5 week old chick. They just went out into the coop last night. She was here this morning when I let them out the. Coop/run is fully fenced in and secured no feathers no blood and the ground is muddy and there isn’t even any tracks to try and pin point the theif. What ever it was got in there between 10am and 1pm this morning. And it had a roof so a hawk couldn’t have gotten in to grab her. And none of the fencing is broken or dug under I’m so confused

• My first thought was also a snake. A five week old chick is still very small. Every year i catch 4,5, and ocassionally 6 ft ratsnakes in nest boxes eating eggs. They could easily eat a 5 week old chick. And have tried, but all my chick pens are covered in 1/2" hardware cloth. Plus, my awesome dog alerts me to a snake near a chick pen trying to get the chicks. Before i see the snake, i usually see the "snake tracks." I have very sandy soil, & the snake often leaves slithery "s" tracks in the sand. But those tracks wouldnt show up well in mud. How big are the holes in your fence? There IS this. If the fence holes are small enough to keep the 5 week old chick in, then that Should mean that if a snake ate a chick, that snake couldnt get through the fence holes to escape. Is it possible a snake could have already been hiding in the chick pen when u put the chicks in their new home? Also, i dont know how cold temp was at time your chick disappeared. If cold temp, then likely not a snake. But, if fence holes are big enough for a snake, could also be a rat. Both rats & snakes can get through very small holes; one inch wide holes are easy for both to get through. Sorry for your loss and dismay. I hope u find the culprit before u have any more losses.

If you have a game camera, put it up because it will probably come back especially since it scored and you will know for sure what you're up against and can make a plan. Good luck...

If you have a game camera, put it up because it will probably come back especially since it scored and you will know for sure what you're up against and can make a plan. Good luck...
I think what through me off the most was it was between 11am and 12pm not when the usual predators are around. And it happened so fast. Nothing is dug up no tracks were left and nothing was broken.

I think what through me off the most was it was between 11am and 12pm not when the usual predators are around. And it happened so fast. Nothing is dug up no tracks were left and nothing was broken.
The predators I have dealt with in the past during the day have been either a fox or coyote. Not knowing where you live but most places have these predators.

quite puzzling to be sure. You're absolutely certain it has not crawled off (by itself or driven by the other chicks) becuz it was sick or dying? There's no little tiny spots big enuf that you haven't check carefully to look for her?

Back
Top Bottom