What could this be? Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

I didn't mention the possibility of coccidiosis as another possibility. That can make a chicken lethargic, too weak to stand up or walk, have hunched posture, refuse food, and have runny or bloody poops. Corid (amprollium) is the usual treatment for 5 days in the water. I think that pets and animals always tend to get sick when vacation time comes around. Maybe a family member or neighbor could keep her in a crate (with food and water) and look after her while you are gone. Here is the Mareks link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

I didn't mention the possibility of coccidiosis as another possibility. That can make a chicken lethargic, too weak to stand up or walk, have hunched posture, refuse food, and have runny or bloody poops. Corid (amprollium) is the usual treatment for 5 days in the water. I think that pets and animals always tend to get sick when vacation time comes around. Maybe a family member or neighbor could keep her in a crate (with food and water) and look after her while you are gone. Here is the Mareks link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
What do you think the chances of coccidiosis might be if she has been on medicated chick feed since 2 days old, continues to eat (and actually gained .3 ounces since last night at this time), and does not have runny or bloody poop? If it is coccidiosis, the only way to diagnose would be with a fecal sample, correct?

I have family (mainly my 13 year-old niece, but also my sister) planning on checking in on the birds a couple times a day while we are gone, and our neighbor also likes to stroll over and say "hi" to the chickens. I would just need to get some answers regarding what I am actually dealing with before we leave for vacation as I would hate to leave them with the possibility of having to put one of my chickens out of its misery.

A couple other things to note:
When the chicken walks it seems to be placing one foot partially on top of the other, perhaps that is what is causing some balance issues? Or, is it the balance issues causing it to step on its own feet? I'm not sure, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
I also noticed some head shaking this evening, but that was right after I gave it another dose of liquid B Complex so it may just have been reacting to that.
All other birds continue to act normal.

Thought I would give an update on my pullet. As of tonight...

* I've spent time trying to track down the state vet. I called to ask some questions about a necropsy (should it come to that) and the secretary at the state vet's office offered to have the state vet call me back, but so far he has not. (I still can't believe they charge over $200 for a necropsy when other states will do them for free.)
* I have also called quite a few vet offices in attempts to find any vets near us that were willing/able to treat a chicken, or even perform a gross necropsy. I think I may have found one, but could not believe how many vets I had to call to find one that "might be able to help".
* I have continued giving her B Complex vitamins 2x per day
* Based on input from @Eggcessive, I figured it could not hurt to start treating her, and everyone else, for cocci with Corid so everyone started on that earlier today
* She is still eating and drinking
* She's lost 0.6 ounces in the last 24 hours, but overall is only down 0.3 ounces since the first time I checked her weight 2 days ago
* She seems to be standing and walking more than she was yesterday
* She walked over to me when I called her, stepped out of her dog crate and stood next to me
* She is eating and drinking while standing instead doing it laying down
* She is putting up more of a fight when I try to get the B Complex into her
* She still seems to be a bit uncoordinated, but does seem better than she did last night
* Everyone else is still acting "normal"

Thanks for the update. Most vets don't get a lot of training with chickens in school because in the past there is no money in it, according to a family member who went to Ohio State vet school. I think that may be changing in some areas of the country, though. Hopefully, the vitamins will help. Sometimes having a good relationship with your dog or cat vet can help when it comes time to getting a fecal test done for cocci and worms on your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom