what could this be (picture)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CoocoChik, Sep 10, 2013.

1. CoocoChik

CoocoChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    one of my hens - about 2 years old _ i notice a couple of days she was sluggish so i brought her inside and gave her some vitamins but this morning she die as i was petting her -- then in going to close up the coop one young hen (1year and 2 month old) was not in the coop but to find her dead under the porch-[​IMG] this is very sad...

i didn't make much of it when i saw she the older hen-had pupped watery yellowish but after reading a bit about the posts of "why chickens die" .. i get worried!

i did take that sample to see if the local vet would know but i heard they _around here_ don't do anything for chickens .. sad..

and then is me _ i get very attached to them_since they are all so friendly [​IMG]

anyway, please look at pic to share your knowledge ... thanks

[​IMG]

2. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Maybe egg peritonitis?

3. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    hi Bluegrasslady, well here i am up late thinking.. and now i see your reply .. thanks!!
    i have search and in reading about this egg peritonitis i can see that the older hen probably had that , what is puzzling now is why the younger hen just die with no signs of depression or sluggish at all!
    thanks again.. 'till tomorrow

4. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Don't know about that younger one. Could always do a round of Corid water in case it's cocci. Anybody else in the flock acting down and out?

5. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    hi , i am looking at that cocci and yes it could be that what killed the young hen .. found this site http://www.easychickenry.com/coccidiosis-in-chickens.html -- has a video showing what cocci does and has recommendations of what to do
    i am getting that SULMET and i also got some solution to clean and disinfect the coop -- i am planning on painting the inside as it says on that site to prevent cocci from attaching to bare wood..

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sulmet is very hard on chickens. Corid (amprollium) is better tolerated, and will kill more strains of coccidiosis (9) than Sulmet(2). Corid comes in liquid ( 2 tsp) per gallon of water or powder(1 to 1 1/2 tsp ) per gallon of water. Do not give vitamins while on Corid and treat for 5 days.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Wow, that's yellow! Do all the poops look like that?

-Kathy

8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Those are predominantly urates (bird urine). The bird stops eating, disease progresses, and that is what happens. Then you have to battle dehydration.
    I've seen droppings like that from Cholera to Enteritis (the greens) . If it isn't coccidiosis, you are wasting your time with Corid (amprolium). Though if it is coccidiosis, cholera, enteritis, you are far better off with a water treatment using Sulfadimethoxine soluble powder than you would be with Sulmet. Sulmet contains sodium Sulfamethazine which is harder on a chicken's system than Sulfadimethoxine.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  9. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    thanks to all for the replies!

Kathy , no just that one pupped like that that day i can't see any other like it in the coop

Michael, so the only way to know is to have that in the lab to make sure what is .

cold is coming here soon so i have them in an alternate area/coop where they'll be nice and warm but during the day, they are free until the hard cold comes
    my worry is the ones who hatched recent and the others who are so young. I am doing the best i can to keep them clean and good food, clean water too.

. ..

10. CoocoChik

Mar 17, 2012
    unfortunately i am still not so knowledgeable on this so when i read on that web site about the cocci i went and got the sulmet .. paid 20.. only used maybe less of a tea spoon of it ..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by