What could this be????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pamperedpoultry, Sep 29, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I have one chick that I noticed since he was at least a week old has had trouble with his eyes. I dont think its a disease or anything since him and his 3 siblings came from the same person (their all healthy) and I used one of my bantam cochin hens to brood them (shes healthy as well). Their now 2-3 months old. It started out a lil swelled and it finally swelled shut. I for a couple weeks brought him in daily and washed it out (he did have quite a bit of infection in it when I first treated him) & Applied Terrimycin Eye ointment. It seemed to keep it from swelling but didn't get any better. His eye looked so bad I thought he would be blind. I started to change their shavings more often and that seemed to help, he now is almost normal except his eyes still run a lil and the one that was so bad is just a tad swelled nothing horrible but enough to notice, But a huge improvement. Could he have some kind of allergy? he is in a pen that is completley enclosed except for the door its wire. could he need more ventilation?? I'm just stumped, and I honestly dont think he's sick, I've never heard a sneeze, and his nose has always been clear, the others are healthy????

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. pamperedpoultry

any ideas?? [​IMG]

3. pamperedpoultry

Anybody out there..LOL

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    What kind of bedding is it on? That's all I can think to ask. I hope someone else helps.

5. pamperedpoultry

Quote:Pine shavings

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Try polyvisol vitamins without iron for about week, see if that clears it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by