What creature will defend against chicken predators?

mooSa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
I have been having problems with darn dogs and foxes and other predators. I need somthing that can live side by side with the chickens and protect them. I thought maybe an ostrich might be good. Any ideas?

I think I saw something on t.v. about people in Africa using donkeys to protect their live stock. There are always the herd gaurd dogs.

Although stubborn, mules are generally good defenders against predators; although I'm not sure you could convince the mule it was his full-time job. I have a neighbor who has a free ranging flock of about 20 birds in their front yard with several goats and two Great Pyrenees dogs. His dogs were raised to be around various livestock since pups. I think that's the secret, a dog that has been bred to protect livestock and trained since a pup for the job. Just my two cents.

would a mule attack predators (dog, fox , etc) during the night and before sun rise? I need somthing that wont turn down to anything or anyone lol.

It won't protect against predators, but I keep three guinea fowl with my flock to alert me of anything in the yard that might be an issue. Even from the house, I can hear their alarm calls, so if anything were to be suspicious on the property, I would definitely know about it.

Donkeys, Llamas, ostriches and the likes WON"T stop a predators from taking your flock if they want to bad enough. What they do is make a lot of noise and commotion to raise an alarm so to speak..Which will either bring you running or may scare off the predators.

nekkiddoglady mentioned a livestock guardian dog breed and this is probably the best bet. Just the presence of a dog is often enough to keep coons, cats and cyotoes away.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom