What creature will defend against chicken predators?

But I also have absolutely no doubt in my mind that once the chase starts in earnest and their "lizard brain" takes over their instincts will over-ride training they will kill any cat they chase and catch outdoors. It's my job as a responsible dog owner to make sure they don't get that chance. I'll get off my soap box now and I hope I haven't offended anyone as it was not my intent, it's just a very sensitive subject for me as I've seen far too many dogs suffer and/or die because of their previous owner's ignorance or laziness.

Ditto that.​

Didn't mean to start any debates here, the reason I got the Aussies were for their intelligence, and I tried to train them to leave the poultry alone but they just acted like totally wild animals towards my stuff. I understand the difference between herd dogs and guardian dogs. I had pyrs for 12 years and they were great around my animals, but mine liked to roam too much. Could not keep them in a fenced 10 acre area, would dig out constantly to go traipsing around the countryside. Now I just have my chihuahua that is the biggest coward around. LOL

I'm new to all of this. I put my 5 week old chicks into their new inclousure only to have my own dog take them out. Very sad. How do you train a dog to leave the chickens alone? I feel she, the dog, will alert me to other predetors, but I feel a good fence and multiple layers of fencing is the trick.

I also have an Aussie. She is good with my cockatiels and with the cat. would never hurt them. Is it something about chickens that brings out another instinct.

Prey drive is something that all dogs have in varying degrees, and it's unfortunate most of the time, unless you need a dog to kill vermin or help with hunting. I'm new to keeping chickens but old to dog training. Chickens and especially baby chicks can bring out prey drive in a lot of dogs. I had a four week old ACD/pitbull puppy that I was bottle feeding who desperately wanted to snatch up one of the feathery toys that he saw walking around.
hmm.png

would a german shepard or k9 work? I want foxes taken care of.

we have not had issues at all of predators.
we do have a black lab that lives in the 1 acre chicken yard/orchard.
but what I want to know is how are these predators getting into your henhouse at night ?
There is no way any predator/rat/mouse/or other animals could get into or out of my henhouse.
I lock it up tight at night, and open it up when I wake up in the morning.
lights go on inside on a timer so the girls are always laying eggs , dust batheing, or having breakfast when I go out in the morning to let them out.
So how are these predators getting into your henhouse at night ?
hu.gif
make it predater proof !

tell me about the kill, head on or head off, feathers every where? no feathers! owls are great for getting in small holes!! weasel can go threw 2" wire tom!!!

no my coop is pred proof, the problem is when they roam free, usually early in the morning i see a darn fox and he see me then he just goes away. The area is not yet fenced off but it will be in a month or so. Well my question is, will an ostrich attack humans and predators if it is train properly?

Back
Top Bottom