what crops do you have coming to the table?

We have potatoes from an early planting we harvested this week. Still harvesting lettuce, peas, and strawberries. Oh and we pulled some onions tonight for the first time too.

Last edited:
We had Aspargus just recently. I planted the gr.beans,toms,squash,zuchinni,onions,and I have peas started I need to plant. Having lived in Arkansas I really miss the growing season down there. Not to mention the purple hull peas and pecans from my sisters farm.Michigan strawberries will be ready in a couple weeks and we will be making strawberry jam. My own strawberries yield enough for a couple shortcake desserts.I miss the sweet corn from down south too.I tried growing herbs and so far the only thing to survive was the cilantro and sage. I will using a trellis this year for my cucumbers. I seen on Pinterest(my addiction) and the cukes vine will grow on them,keeping the cukes off the ground.Frankly I hate picking any kind of prickly produce.Hoping this works well. If it does I will use this next year on all my prickly produce.I love to garden and I afm so enjoying the chooks.My 12 yr old is obsessed with them. They now come right to us when we come out to the run.Lady Gaga sits on my daughters lap w/o being held.My lab is not as interested as she was last week so that helps not having her scare the girls back into the coop.I am just thrilled we made it thru a week and no drama,or tragedy in the coop.However,I cannot wait to start selling eggs the first 60 dozen will buy our solar door. Yep, only one week into and I want one of those more than I can say. We will have to go thru one winter w/o it though.Thinking about rigging the coop door so I can open it from the people door.We'll see. I bought a new feed yesterday the other stuff I bought had a bout a pound and a half of dust n the bottom of the bad. hoping the new stuff from the Amish will prove to be better.

Do you grow purple hull peas there? We dont here in Michigan,however next year I am going to try it.We have a lot of fruit farms here too.Apples,cherries,blueberries,are a huge buisness here.

Yes, we grow purple hull peas, blackeyed peas, etc. We don'r do corn because I'm allergic, which sucks because I love corn on the cob or even corn straight from the garden not cooked at all.

Tomatoes, eggplant, summer squash, beans, and onions are getting harvested now. Love eggplant and onion pizza! Oh and a ton of fresh basil too. Its the busy busy busy season in the garden.

This is what we harvested over the weekend. As you can see we are getting overrun with Cucumbers, but that is okay because we are going to be doing pickles this year. I love the summer because it means I don't have to buy any produce when doing my grocery shopping. I have already made one batch of summer salad and once we get a few more small tomates I will make a second.

Wow, nice haul of cukes! Mine are still little. Not sure why but they are taking forever to grow this year. I'm raking in the eggplant this year. I planted both a round purple one called Aswaad and a long one called Ping Tung and they are both just loaded. I've started dehydrating them in slices for later use because we can't eat that much eggplant all at once! I also have jalapenos ready.

Thanks, I just wish I had more room for garden. We made our first batch of pickles, didn't like the outcome so we will be trying a different recipe next time. We just got the Ball blue book so I think we will try one from there. Anyone have any good canning recipes? We plan on doing corn, green beans, tomatoes, and pickles at the very least.

Summed up our production totals for July. 327 eggs and 32 1/2 lbs of produce. Tomatoes, eggplant, cucumber, green beans, blueberries, peaches, onions, potatoes, and squash.

Back
Top Bottom