What defines a good rooster?

We have a flock of 20 hens (Austalorps and Orpingtons) and the perfect rooster, a mix of the two breeds named Sherman. He is gorgeous and calm, a great protector, keeps his flock together and under control and is NEVER aggressive with us. I really believe he got his calm, strong demeanor from his mother Gracie, an Orpington. He was hatched last spring and seems to have adopted her personality. It was a long time coming - we went through 23 roosters in 3 years before we found him. (The other 23 took up residence in our freezer!) We always talk to him whenever we see him and make sure he gets a share of the treats when we have something special for the girls. I also make sure to touch/pet/talk gently to him when he is on the roost, to get him used to us (and to reinforce our dominance over him). We are hoping his offspring will be just like him!

So handsome.

So there seem to be two camps of thought, I have heard to never pet a rooster. I pet mine, though.
There are as many ways to raise chickens as there are people keeping them. Sometimes it works to pet them, sometimes it doesn’t. If you read the “Help! My rooster is attacking me!” threads, you will see that most of them start out with, “My rooster that I raised by hand was so sweet until...” In my years of raising chickens, I’ve tried a lot of different methods and have found the best way for me is to distance myself from them and make sure they respect my space.

There are as many ways to raise chickens as there are people keeping them. Sometimes it works to pet them, sometimes it doesn’t. If you read the “Help! My rooster is attacking me!” threads, you will see that most of them start out with, “My rooster that I raised by hand was so sweet until...” In my years of raising chickens, I’ve tried a lot of different methods and have found the best way for me is to distance myself from them and make sure they respect my space.
:woot....:goodpost:

IMG_0479.JPG
My Rooster Lester...Huge Brahma/ Pure Ameruacana..

Do you plan on getting more hens in the future? I highly suggest it If you'd like to keep both. If you can't get more hens, I would probably separate them if you can. Give each rooster a hen.

I keep 6 roosters with my hens, everything is perfect. The roosters protect my hens so wonderfully, they keep them herded in safe groups.
One rooster is "The King". He roosts first and groups the girls of his choice, he keeps other roosters in order by pecking them if they try to mate with his hens.
If you watch them close and keep fighting to a minimum, you can keep both.
They will both hit a point where hormones kick in and they'll be all over your girls and probably fight even more. I just fought through it with them. I would sometimes crate the roosters next to each other so they always remembered each other, then my hens got a break too.
My tip is DONT GIVE UP! Anything is possible if you keep with it. :)

Random question.. do Roosters suffer if they are kept separate from hens?
I want to breed some birds but only when I choose.. I do not want fertile eggs in between, as much as possible.
Will they be okay if they are close, but barred off?

I want to breed some birds but only when I choose.. I do not want fertile eggs in between, as much as possible.
Huh...Collect your eggs daily and fertile are no different than eggs not fertile..

My roosters don't seem unhappy. I just started a rooster bantam flock and they're all scratching and roosting in their new house. In fact, they seem happier now than when they were with the hens!

But if the rooster is kept ALONE, he might become depressed. I suggest he has company of some sort.

I would think it would cause some stress since chickens are flock animals and it’s the rooster’s instinct to breed and protect the hens. When he’s not allowed to, it affects him.

Back
Top Bottom