What did my wife get me?

suckrpnch

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 16, 2008
Hello

Well.. a couple months ago I sent my wife to get our first batch of chicks. I gave her general guidelines of what to get based on all the reading I was doing here and other places. She came back with 5 straight run RIRs and 5 Golden Comets (pullets). All looked healthy and normal except 2 of the "Golden Comets" were white. Now that they've gotten a bit older it's very obvious that they are not comets (what I figured from the start).

So.. Can anyone ID these girls based on these crappy pictures from my overpriced cell phone
tongue.png
? I would up some better pics but my dog seems to have acquired a taste for camera cords as of late.

18679_img00081.jpg

18679_img00087.jpg

18679_img00090.jpg

I was leaning towards Rocks or maybe Giants just by how the back and tail look but I tend to overlook the subtleties. Also, they are not growing as fast as the comets - not a huge difference, just not as full looking. If they were Jersey Giants I figured they would be outgrowing the other chickies. They are in the neighborhood of 9-10 weeks in these pics.

Thanks

eta: age

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The golden comets should look like the red/white chicken in the second picture. As for your white ones, those look like white leghorns to me. If they have white earlobes then that is probably what they are and they will lay white eggs.
I guess I should add that the male of the comets would be white but your white birds look to be built like a white egg layer which leads me to think they are leghorns.

Last edited:
Yup.. they do have white earlobes. I didn't even look at leghorn pics for some reason.

As luck would have it 3 of the 5 straight run RIRs are roos and I'm starting to think that one of the 5 SLW pullets I picked up at a later date is a roo (I'll wait another couple weeks to try to determine.. maybe shes just an early bloomer
lol.png
)

We'd like to keep 1 or 2 roos but I've heard some hit or miss stories about the Rhode Islands so we'll just wait and see how it goes and maybe have to pick up a roo at a later date.

Thanks for the help.
big_smile.png

I'm still tryn' to figure out the chicken growing cycle. The rhode islands that are obviously roos seemed to sprout combs and wattles overnight. All of them seemed to to grow bunches for the first month, now they've slowed down. Some of them look the same for a couple weeks then I let 'em out one morning and notice some changes.

I have been lucky in that I've had no mysterious deaths, no funky medical issues (yet), went in the coop and roosted by themselves the first night.

Its certainly been a learning experience.

Go ahead and post pictures of all your chickens
smile.png
we'll tell ya what we think.
Another thing to consider is each chicken breed grows differently, and leghorn hens have unusually large combs, and they mature much faster than other breeds do.

Back
Top Bottom