What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    yup we got the rain.

2. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Rants from the Crazy H-Bar Ranch:
    So, I just finished off the first opened jar of B&B pickles. I can honestly say...they were amazing. Although not as crisp as I had hoped, even though we used pickle crisp, but we did cook them in the brine briefly before canning. I can't wait to taste the frig version of our B&B pickles (pickles, cukes, and yellow squash) all from the garden. Those went straight into the cooked brine with some pickle crisp. Fingers crossed. Now, I'm working on the dill's we canned last week. Whoa.... these are kinda spicy... and these aren't the ones with the habaneros in em. I'm thinking of saving the B&B brine leftovers to pickle the rapidly ripening pepperchinis... what do ya think? Our romas and aromas are starting to redden up... I see many jars of sauce in our future. Question, those that have minor BER, can the bad areas be cut of and used for the sauce? There are a few with BER but there are many w/o it. If I cut it off will they keep for a couple of days in the frig? Or how can I keep them till I have enough toms for the canning. This week we bought a bag of pickle relish spice at Wally World and canned a huge batch of B&B relish using pickles, cukes and zukes from the garden. The boys say that it tastes great...we'll see. We still many pickles ripening this week.... huummmmm, are there any more recipes out there?

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Hosspak, you have really been busy...the pickles sound really good. I have never tried making pickles. I have yellow squash that will be ready in a day or two and I have tiny cucumbers. No tomatoes yet, but the bushes are full. Ready for a BLT with fresh tomatoes.

5. Stuffedcritter

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Hosspak I freeze mine until I get enough, cheery tomatoes I feed to the critters in the winter. Going on our 5'th day of rain here plants are starting to yellow.

6. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    you can but up temp plastic lil greenhouse type thang to keep out the rain...

7. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
  8. Stuffedcritter

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Saturday it's going to be sunny again hoping raised bed get dried out peppers I planted in wooden boxes cover them with glass. Three a.m. I can't sleep-)

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida

10. Stuffedcritter

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    The kid and I like it hot the other half can't handle anything hotter then black pepper (boring).
    Hoping it drys out some around here something tells me we're going to get blight all this rain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by