What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I harvested the savoy cabbage yesterday. Time to prep myself for the kraut, because the market more and kraut heads are getting big!

2. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Planted some ornamental hyacinth beans .

3. Pokerface

Pokerface Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2014
    Atoka, Ok
    Picked peppers, beans and squash (yellow and zuke). Thinking about putting another level for my beans to climb but then I'd have to use a ladder to pick 'em. Watered this morning and dang if we didn't get an inch of rain 2 hours later.

4. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Potato bug problem: when I was on the herb companion site they suggested horseradish tea (ground root steeped in water, drop of soap strain spray) I've never had to battle them before so don't know if it works. My war is with those slimy --- slugs put out beer they have frat party, corn meal, egg shells, hair, lime, and favorite pass time sprinkling them with salt. (twisted)

5. Wildkatzchicken

Wildkatzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Georgia...southhhhhhhhhh
    I use Marigolds ....they ward off alot of bugs .....I also wash my egg shells and crumble them up, scattered them all around the tomatoes and it cut out the Hornworms that were making lunch of my leaves.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My favorite slug deterrent is a pair of scissors. They squeak when you cut them in half. Then there's Sluggo which is iron phosphate. wipes them out real nice. My chickens have developed a taste for them, and they really like land snails. Crunchy on the outside with soft gooey centers!

7. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Raked up all the leaves and put the dirt back on the garden beds ( that the chooks scratched out )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lovely chooks. They look like they are just waiting for you to turn your back so they can get back to rearranging your mulch. Raking that mulch can be a full time job. Once i get my flower beds finished, i'm going to try putting up a barrier netting of deer netting with bamboo stakes to discourage their visits.

9. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    They look as if they haven't done a thing. One on the ground looks like the lookout chicken. Thought I would share a few pictures of my bed garden. First year I have attempted this and will be adding more beds next year.
    [​IMG]
    Tomato bushes
    [​IMG]
    Loaded with tomatoes, can't wait for them to ripen!
    [​IMG]
    Yellow squash..fixing to blossom
    [​IMG]
    Cucumbers...starting to run now.
    [​IMG]
    These are my pole lima bean. They have just started running. I have used tobacco sticks and jute for all my trellis.

10. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by