What did you do in the garden today?

Well, I’ve been at the ER with my Mom most of the day. She fell at her assisted living apartment. Couldn’t reach a cord or her phone. Had Alexa “call Karen”! It worked!! I was able to call her complex and they got her up. But her knee was swelling. Yep, the one she had surgery on. 😞
X-rays look good but she has fluid on her knee. They don’t think it’s infected!
She’s complained of thigh pain so the did an ultrasound to check for a blood clot. Waiting to hear about that. But it appears to me that they might be getting ready to keep her. Which they only would if she has a clot.

Well, I’ve been at the ER with my Mom most of the day. She fell at her assisted living apartment. Couldn’t reach a cord or her phone. Had Alexa “call Karen”! It worked!! I was able to call her complex and they got her up. But her knee was swelling. Yep, the one she had surgery on. 😞
X-rays look good but she has fluid on her knee. They don’t think it’s infected!
She’s complained of thigh pain so the did an ultrasound to check for a blood clot. Waiting to hear about that. But it appears to me that they might be getting ready to keep her. Which they only would if she has a clot.
Sorry to hear about that. :( Hope mom is okay and feels 100% soon. Boy Karen, you have been busy... I hope your luck turns soon. :hugsHang in there- this too shall pass!! We are rooting for you!!

Not planting potatoes in there ground yet, but I had a thought. I get more plants by cutting the seed potatoes... Now I didn't cut then last year and we had a good harvest, but we are planning on a lot more plants this year - 55 potato plants actually.
Does cutting seed potatoes affect the number of potatoes each plant produces?
If you cut the seed potato, do you plant right away or leave it out for a day to create a callus? If yes for callus, is one day long enough?

Sorry to hear about that. :( Hope mom is okay and feels 100% soon. Boy Karen, you have been busy... I hope your luck turns soon. :hugsHang in there- this too shall pass!! We are rooting for you!!
Thanks! Well, no blood clot either! So they sent her back to her assisted living apartment. I didn't think they would let her stay there because she is unable to "walk the pathway to safety" because she can't even put any weight on her leg. But she was able to transfer into bed ( with a lot of shouting and groaning 😞 ). They will recheck her tomorrow and if she fails that assessment she will have to hire in home care until she is more able (or go to that care facility.)
Doctor appointment on Monday afternoon.

Last edited:
In our part of the world, Good Friday is potato planting day.
You cut your potatoes up so that each piece has 2 or three or 4 eyes. Toss them on a tray and just let them sit somewhere dry for a week, turn them so the sides get exposed and dry out.

Then plant. That way each piece will produce a good plant for you.
A whole week? That's longer than I realized. Good to know though.

In our part of the world, Good Friday is potato planting day.
You cut your potatoes up so that each piece has 2 or three or 4 eyes. Toss them on a tray and just let them sit somewhere dry for a week, turn them so the sides get exposed and dry out.

Then plant. That way each piece will produce a good plant for you.
Good advice! Thanks

I checked my sweet potatoes, which have been soaking in water for nearly two weeks. 5 of the 6 halves have white hairlike roots under the water. 3 of them are just beginning to grow a few sprouts in the form of small purples nubs. It's these sprouts that I expect to grow into slips that I can transplant.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom