What did you do in the garden today?

Cold morning getting started but for some reason, the younger of our 2 dogs would not come in. He was sad about leaving his soccer ball in the frozen yard this morning.

I managed to get a 72 cell tray worth of seeds planted last night and finished it this morning after soaking the parsley seeds. If half or 2/3 of them pop, I'll be happy. Although, getting them to germinate isn't a difficult is having them grow well. I've had issues with leggy seedlings in the past but I'm hopeful the new grow lights will be a worthwhile solution to that issue.
Only making it to about 38 today but wind chills in the mid 20's. Its a decent looking day outside at least and it is Friday! (Even though I work tomorrow, lol)

Good morning gardeners. Best wishes for your mother's recovery @karenerwin. Yesterdays trip to the dentist was very productive. His office is 30 miles away so I added shopping stops along the way. One stop was to pick up a few more things for the garden. I got some more of the starter peat pots and picked up a bag of worm castings. They were very reasonably priced. On the way home I stopped at HD and picked up some of the boards for my garden expansion (I have a very small car so can only do a couple at a time). I thought I was getting 10 inch x 8 foot boards, turns out they are 8 inch. Oh well that will have to do. I also picked up some fruit tree fertilizer spikes and finally - asparagus starts. I picked the Mary Washington ones. I know pretty much diddly squat about asparagus (except that it is tasty) but something in my head told me to go with the Mary Washington. I googled it when I got home and it is smaller than male asparagus plants. So there, small asparagus for my "Wee Farm." I was curious about how many square feet of planting area (for vegetable and herbs) I have so I did a tally. I'm around 280 square feet. I think that's pretty good for feeding one person and some chickens. I'm still loaded with tomato products, pickles, canned peaches and jams. I still have squash fritters in the freezer as well. I too am planting conehead cabbage this year. I don't usually grow cabbage, but thought this might be fun. I still haven't committed to potatoes yet. But I do have them in my garden plan. I took a picture of my baby leeks. To those of you who are not familiar with these, the seedlings look like grass. The weather here is a bit chilly, 28F and wicked windy. We'll be getting a couple of cold days then warming back to mid-40's again. Nearly all the ice is gone now except for a random patch here and there. I'm so glad it's gone. Walking is much safer now. Too windy to get out to work in the yard today. Sunday is supposed to be the best day. I hope to get the "pea patch" covered soon. Have a great day everyone.

View attachment 2037571 View attachment 2037575

I tried planting asparagus last year but did pretty horrible since I didn’t care for it as I should have. They didn’t get past the seedling stage. But when they do grow they look like tiny baby asparagus! But it takes like 3 years to produce from seed. I wish I would have taken care of it. I would have been one year down 🤦‍♀️ now to try to start again this year.

Good morning all! Happy aloha Friday!!!
We are in the 70's to reach low 80's around noon. Nice breeze with beautiful cumulus clouds lightly collecting on the mountains. Perfect.
It's my last day painting the railings, then on to sanding the front deck.
Need to water the garden. Lettuce looks awesome, tomatoes are plentiful and also doing well.. I will make myself an arugula, tofu salad for lunch- yum!
Baby chicks are healthy and adorable. Chickens are producing buku eggs and earning their keep. Need to do another heavy harvest of oranges. The tree should start blooming again in a few months. Wonderful smell the orange blossom.
Plumeria's are starting their blooming along with many other plants.

Stay well all!!!

Karen I sure hope so .... Started with a windy wet storm come through hate wet shoes...
I typically wear a baseball cap hair pulled back out of my face or like Karen with cap keeping it away ... Gosh did not want rain back ... us girls or folks are doing a meeting tomorrow chicken people local at a gals house close here

Back
Top Bottom