What did you do in the garden today?

Aloha garden gang!
So sorry about your sweet chick @Wee Farmer Sarah , I hope the rest stay well and full of fun stories from here on out. :hugs

I am a little shocked on the cold weather and snow (?!!) some of you folks are getting. Our temps have been typical, to warmer than usual. I already purchased 2 fans the other day to try to stave off the misery. One to set up in the coop for nighttime comfort and the other is a small desk top that can blow straight on me at night as I dream of cooler days. I'm not ready to be miserable yet and i don't want to think about hurricane season either. Today is good and I am grateful for it.

Jazz showed up right on time with a small brood of 5-6, looks like Sancho the wild roo has only one out of the deal, thank goodness. That ol Gus was fantastic about getting these girls mated. I only got to see the new family from 20 feet away as I threw mom some feed, but they look super darn cute and I can hardly wait to meet them. I plan on taking her babies from her fairly quick and raise them myself. Rose's babies are far too feral and she is far too mean now. Lesson learned and I don't want a repeat.

I need to get my plan in place with brooder and grown out pen for the near future. I have enough coops and space to juggle the gang at the moment but hoping to get a decent hatch in 19 days!!! Would love to grow out and display to sell in style. May take some thought.
Also looking at incubators online... not sure if and what i will be able to get BUT my top 4 choices are,
#1 R-com mx 20 auto,
#2 Nurture right 360
#3 Hovabator
#4 Brinsea Ovation
Do any of you folks have any thoughts and/or experience with any of these?
Mahalo in advance. :D

I've got a few warm photos for those who may like. DH walked his dog last eve on one of our horse riding haunts. I go today to be the calming effect for sweet Cisco and his 1st beach ride since he went back to sq 1 with ground work.
View attachment 2128982View attachment 2128959View attachment 2128960
Have a great day all. Continue to stay strong, safe and well!!!
Peace-out!!! :thumbsup
I LOVE these last 2 pictures!! They are frame worthy!! :love

I just came in from covering everything in the garden, all the strawberry patches, 4/6 of the raspberry canes, all of the young fruit trees and 2 of the apple trees. So none of the peach trees got covered or the blackberry canes or 1 additional apple tree. I also moved the 2 😨buckets of potatoes closer to the house and reinstalled the plastic on the greenhouse wagon and moved it closer to the house.
We have a freeze warning for tonight, in case you hadn't guessed.

Good idea! Thanks!

For some reason I never have much luck with spinach. :(

Might try again though. And gonna try a bunch of other lettuces this year. Found some when going through the seeds that I want to try plus I have some from last year that I never tried.
Start spinach when it's still cold, same with peas.

@WthrLady I don't think I need to cover the bee hive do I? The low is supposed to be 37F. The nuc I got is supposed to have had 4LBs of bees in it. I believe that the bees will cluster/ball up around the queen and keep her warm.
If I need to cover it, please let me know and I will go throw a blanket or beach towel over it before I go to bed. Thanks!

@WthrLady I don't think I need to cover the bee hive do I? The low is supposed to be 37F. The nuc I got is supposed to have had 4LBs of bees in it. I believe that the bees will cluster/ball up around the queen and keep her warm.
If I need to cover it, please let me know and I will go throw a blanket or beach towel over it before I go to bed. Thanks!
They should be fine. They'll snuggle and vibrate to keep warm. If YOU"LL sleep better, you can toss a blanket on top. They don't have a lot of food in there yet to eat and keep warm and act as thermal mass. Yup. you'll sleep better heap a blanket on there. Take off during day to allow the heat to build inside.

But normally no, they'd be fine.

They should be fine. They'll snuggle and vibrate to keep warm. If YOU"LL sleep better, you can toss a blanket on top. They don't have a lot of food in there yet to eat and keep warm and act as thermal mass. Yup. you'll sleep better heap a blanket on there. Take off during day to allow the heat to build inside.

But normally no, they'd be fine.
Thanks! They have the sugar water feeder in there so I am going to trust that they will be fine. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 64 and partly sunny. (Plus I'll be at work 5:30 till 5:30 and hubby says he is allergic to bees so I won't ask him to uncover them). So I will leave them how they are. :fl

Back
Top Bottom