What did you do in the garden today?

I think it's been a week now. They're all new layers so I haven't worried too much yet. No soft shelled eggs this morning (it's always on the poop boards so they're doing it while roosting) so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've had oyster shells out in two places since it appears it's the lower ranking girls with the issue. And I switched to a pelleted layer feed with no treats other than kale and some plain greek yogurt. Given the placement of the thin eggs, I know it's the speckled sussex and 2 of the 3 swedish flower hens. Their combs aren't as red as everyone else's are so I don't think their hormones are fully ramped up. Can you think of anything else I should be doing? The amber links and the bo are sure dependable so far, once they started they are egg machines.
I was just being nosey because of the troubles I had with my one that died a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't worry if it's only been a week and they seem to be acting normal. Here's hoping for 2 more good eggs today!

Pulled up some garlic. A little bit of an experiment from stuff that went old from the kitchen.

Attachments

• DDB30040-0BD7-4E70-BD1B-A6B2B8E20848.jpeg
    DDB30040-0BD7-4E70-BD1B-A6B2B8E20848.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 3
I'm thinking about where to plant luffa gourds , while the seeds soak on the bench (don't worry, it's early spring here). Has anyone grown them? I don't have a whole lot of space. I'm wondering how hard I can prune them and still get a crop. I remember my grandmother growing them over the porch when I was about four years old, but my aunt told me that she had to climb up a ladder twice a week to prune them off the roof! That sounds a bit too athletic for me 🤣🤣🤣

I think it's been a week now. They're all new layers so I haven't worried too much yet. No soft shelled eggs this morning (it's always on the poop boards so they're doing it while roosting) so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've had oyster shells out in two places since it appears it's the lower ranking girls with the issue. And I switched to a pelleted layer feed with no treats other than kale and some plain greek yogurt. Given the placement of the thin eggs, I know it's the speckled sussex and 2 of the 3 swedish flower hens. Their combs aren't as red as everyone else's are so I don't think their hormones are fully ramped up. Can you think of anything else I should be doing? The amber links and the bo are sure dependable so far, once they started they are egg machines.

That is a great idea! I'm ordering some too.
My leeks didn't do much either but the tomatoes and flowers around them are crowding the heck out of them so I've blamed that.

There's a light dusting of ash on everything outside and the air is still full of smoke. East wind is rare enough that I keep hoping the west wind will start doing it's job again. No gardening today, saw to the critters and after leaving them out to get their jobs done, I brought the dogs in again. It's so stuffy and warm in the house (no ac, we normally don't need it) I would love to be able to open the windows. DP wants to make bug out bags, not a bad idea but the fires are far from us. That said, the whole state is dry as dust so a fire can start anywhere. The sky here yesterday and this morning:View attachment 2326322
View attachment 2326323

I have plenty to keep me busy inside, 2 pounds of huckleberries to clean, split into bags and freeze, maybe make muffins with some first. We have 2 small wild huckleberries in the yard and will be planting more once we have a little more protection for them. There's a big bowl of green cherry tomatoes still waiting to be pickled and there's fish in the freezer that need canning too. I think we'll have fritters for lunch and I'll make a tiny pot of tomato soup for the small bit of leftover sauce. Here's my sauce:View attachment 2326324
Labeled and screw tops taken off now.

Here's the dried stuff:View attachment 2326325
The oil packed tomatoes are in the fridge.

Okay, time to get a wiggle on, take care all.
A bug out bag is good to have regardless. We always have one ready for each of us, It comes from living in CA with the quakes and fires.

My wife is canning, drying apples, plums, and making apple butter. Me I need to plant some Beets but it's so smoky I don't want to go out. I need to plan a fence around the garden because our chickens do a lot more damage than we can tolerate. Their favorite snack this week is ripe tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom