What did you do in the garden today?

Sueby

Crowing
Apr 23, 2019
CT
Off with that Hydrangeas head Sarah!!

I love making compost. I do the slow version too, but it's still awesome to make something so good for the garden from what would have been waste. I always felt horrible throwing away cauli cores & ends of cukes, etc - now not so much! My grandmother used to put all of her scraps & eggshells in the blender & pour it on the plants! I was little so I don't remember how often she did it or if there was more to it, but I just remember her sending me out to pour it on the roses!

I grabbed a few pics of the day...
I have figs! Had one last night.
IMG_20200923_173733674.jpg

Tons of green Brandyboys - hard to tell but they are just starting to turn, they should do well in the next week or 2 as it should stay pretty warm.
IMG_20200924_161054382_HDR.jpg

Can't believe this one champion squash is still producing! Again, with the warm, I should be able to harvest all of them. (I don't even have it in me to treat the powdery mildew, lol)
IMG_20200924_161211276.jpg

The green beans are about done! These were the first ones planted, behind are the 2nd round & they're still green but full of worms. :sick
IMG_20200924_161243114.jpg

My crazy pumpkin. 💕
IMG_20200924_161434261.jpg

NewBoots

Crowing
Nov 30, 2018
Lakeside, OR
Have I mentioned how happy my marigolds are? I mean, just look at them!!!!!! They have been flowering constantly since spring, and the plants are huge!
Mine did too this year, they make me happy to see them. Such a cheerful flower. The greedy part of me says "plant only food in the raised beds" but I'm so glad I mixed in flowers. This year it was marigolds, clarkia, borage (super useful, makes great compost tea), and comfrey. And all of them brought in pollinators.
On the 1st we go get him this was off their website
Sweet! What a cutie! :love
I have figs! Had one last night.
Oh and I love figs! We have to nursemaid ours since this was their first summer and we had so little rain. Well worth it! You just can't get fresh figs in stores.

I got a little done in the garden today, I cleared the squash bed and got more fruit than I expected.
Final zuc harvest 9.23.20.jpg

Tossed most of the vines into the compost bin but gave a couple to the ladies, they had a great time. This will be my last batch of zucchini fritters. Well, the last batch made from my own produce. I suspect not too many more of my tomatoes that aren't already showing color are going to and I don't have a good place for storing the green ones. But, I do have a neighbor who will trade green tomatoes for chili verde so I am golden. Now that I've started clearing the spent vegetable plants out I really am keen to get it done, and get the fall/winter crops in. Now I just need to find a supplier of Golden Moon shallots, I'd rather not have to sacrifice my stored supply but if I can't find some sets I'll have to.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I finished drilling the holes, I may have made the holes too close together. Its not like the cuttings need much space, you can crowd them tight but the lid can lose structural integrity. I can just buy another but it takes a long time to drill that many holes and clean out the hole saw every 5 drillings. There may be an easier way to clean them out instantly and I do not know about it... but every 5 holes I need a 10 minute break to pull the plastic out of the hole saw. I have insomnia so I may actually go back out and finish this. 90 holes means I will have many pepper plants. I can germinate seeds faster in this and have them better rooted for planting in the garden. I would like to have this done by tomorrow and get started on taking pepper cuttings. I may even do Tomato cuttings in this at first because I do not have 90 cutting sites on my peppers yet.
IMG_6848.JPG

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
Finished with the assembly of everything but air pump. I love the green house roof without sides right now because I was able to do this out in the rain in the middle of the night. So even when I am not using it as a green house it does give me a dry area outside to get work done.

I took the lid to the clear bin and cut out the middle then I fixed it to the lid with he 1 inch holes.

IMG_6852.JPG

And this allows me to lock the clear bin on top for a humidity dome.

IMG_6853.JPG

I put my insomnia to good use.

(side note, I may have to put a vent on this but I will cross that bridge when i get to it)

Kiwibird

Crowing
Jan 24, 2008
NZ
Finished with the assembly of everything but air pump. I love the green house roof without sides right now because I was able to do this out in the rain in the middle of the night. So even when I am not using it as a green house it does give me a dry area outside to get work done.

I took the lid to the clear bin and cut out the middle then I fixed it to the lid with he 1 inch holes.

View attachment 2347389

And this allows me to lock the clear bin on top for a humidity dome.

View attachment 2347390
I put my insomnia to good use.

(side note, I may have to put a vent on this but I will cross that bridge when i get to it)
Looks great! I look forward to hearing how it works out.

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morming gardeners. I closed on my refinance yesterday,woo hoo. Can't wait to get started on my kitchen remodel. Now that all that stress is over with I can get back to work. I picked what I'm sure is the last of the green beans this morning. Clearly the chipmunks do not like the endive so I need to water it. There are still several jalapenos developing as well. The four little butternut squashes are hanging in there. I'm hoping they will ripen a little more while it's still warm. One of my okra plants looks like it's still trying to produce, so that will get some water today as well. And I do need to get my BES in the dirt. Your home made hydroponic setup gives me an idea for starting seeds next Spring @Compost King. Not totally clear how I will do it but it will give me something to contemplate over the winter. You know @Sueby, I've never pruned that hydrangea, so maybe I will whack it down and saturate with bonemeal and see what happens next Spring. Your pumpkin looks more like a Halloween gourd. Pretty spooky as is. Not much else going on now. Have a great day and happy harvesting.

Top Bottom