What did you do in the garden today?

so far tomato total is at 247 pounds, the rest of the garden is green san marzano, which I will pick and pack for ripening in the basement on Sunday when we cool down. I have 20 pounds simmering on the stove. another 12 ripening on the counter.

So If no more winter ripening 247 pounds for 40 plants so just over 6 pounds per plant. So a middle of the road year for here. I was not impressed and had to baby the plants FAR too much this year. So I'll give it a solid C+ tomato year.

Good afternoon gardeners. I went out to water a shrub that was looking bleak and checked on the shade garden, decided to water in there too. The fairy dusters are growing, albeit slowly, and I think I got at least one in every pot so that’s good. I watered the little rose bush and it floated out of the hole so I’m going to redo that in the morning. I thought about moving it to the other side of the trellis, still thinking on that. I’m going to pull the shade from the one elephant ear and use the fork to loosen the soil for herbs in the shade garden. I think some oregano and thyme will do well in there with the rosemary. I’d like to put some mint in a pot and maybe add some marjoram too. And comfrey. I’ve decided to put the glads in the veg garden where they’ll get more sun and I can make sure the soil drains well. I’m pretty sure I over watered and they didn’t get enough sun where I had them before. Temps are still above normal but closer to 100 during the day than they have been in a long while. Mornings have been nice but I’ve been working so haven’t been out to enjoy them. Tomorrow will be the day for straightening up and getting a lot of little stuff done, Sunday we go get lumber and soil so we can get serious about the walls around the veg garden. I’m headed out to clean coops and collect eggs. Have a great night all.

DSC00001_edited-1.jpg

No progress on my project today, so I found another example of what i am doing. Someone made something similar to mine to clone his Cannabis and I thought I would share a picture similar to what I am trying to build (mine is for hybrid peppers propagation). he seems to be growing his in a grow tent so he does not need a humidity dome. I do grow legal hemp but to be honest this is overkill for such a plant, they will root in damp vermiculite. I only built mine because peppers struggle to root and stagnating water leads to mold growth that will kill roots. Bubble Cloners oxygenate water to increase survival by decreasing the chance root mold forms fast enough to kill the roots. I actually prefer less gadgets to tinker with if I can get away with it.

View attachment 2348403
No progress on my project today, so I found another example of what i am doing. Someone made something similar to mine to clone his Cannabis and I thought I would share a picture similar to what I am trying to build (mine is for hybrid peppers propagation). he seems to be growing his in a grow tent so he does not need a humidity dome. I do grow legal hemp but to be honest this is overkill for such a plant, they will root in damp vermiculite. I only built mine because peppers struggle to root and stagnating water leads to mold growth that will kill roots. Bubble Cloners oxygenate water to increase survival by decreasing the chance root mold forms fast enough to kill the roots. I actually prefer less gadgets to tinker with if I can get away with it.
What do you wrap around the stem to hold them in place, @Compost King? I am following this project with interest. I do like to grow some things which don't take easily from cuttings, and I like this idea better than root-forming hormones.

Hi Everybody, lovely to read your garden news, as always.

We have a spring storm coming, so I have spent some time moving vegetable seedlings to places where the wind is less likely to flip the trays over. Tomorrow's gardening will probably be limited to planting flower seeds somewhere out of the wind and rain.

What do you wrap around the stem to hold them in place, @Compost King? I am following this project with interest. I do like to grow some things which don't take easily from cuttings, and I like this idea better than root-forming hormones.
I use a sponge material I get from Parks seeds. Others use Rock wool, or Rapid Rooters. Its basically a sponge material ... In that last picture I am not sure what they used, I have never seen a white medium like that before.

Parks Seeds (I use the medium size, fits a 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch hole.
https://parkseed.com/bio-dome-refill-sponges/p/v1597/

Rapid Rooter... I am told higher quality but I did not like using them for reasons I can't explain, however most people prefer these
https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Rapid-Rooter-Replacement/dp/B0002IU8K2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=H51NULU3H56T&dchild=1&keywords=rapid+rooter+starter+plugs&qid=1601113955&sprefix=Rapid+rooter,aps,185&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRFFPSTdMNlFHWVlMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExOTcyODRETExXQTlKSTg4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2MTgwNTJFSUk4V0I1SDhMWVUmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Rockwool, I do not like Rockwool because your PH needs to be perfect when working with it as a rooting medium.
https://www.amazon.com/Pratico-Outd...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Back
Top Bottom