What did you do in the garden today?

we built it in fall 2018.....i have to say it’s been one of the best additions to the property that we’ve done! garden veggies last much longer and it’s a world of difference in aging meat

Okay...you've started something here. 😂 I think I have DH convinced that we need build a walk-in cooler. The ONLY place I possibly have to put it is in the garage. I came across this page that talks about how to build one. Wondered what your thoughts might be on this?

https://agriculture.sc.gov/wp-conte...a-Walk-In-Cooler-for-Your-Small-Farm-3.17.pdf

Okay...you've started something here. 😂 I think I have DH convinced that we need build a walk-in cooler. The ONLY place I possibly have to put it is in the garage. I came across this page that talks about how to build one. Wondered what your thoughts might be on this?

https://agriculture.sc.gov/wp-conte...a-Walk-In-Cooler-for-Your-Small-Farm-3.17.pdf
yes cool bot is what we use with their recommended a/c unit 12,000 BTU. we custom framed and filled ours with 4-6” styrofoam but they make prefab R24 panels that are much easier to put up. cost difference is actually not much when you account for labor savings. we had to a bit of troubleshooting and maintenance this summer but otherwise zero problems. ours is 4x6 and stays at 37*

yes cool bot is what we use with their recommended a/c unit 12,000 BTU. we custom framed and filled ours with 4-6” styrofoam but they make prefab R24 panels that are much easier to put up. cost difference is actually not much when you account for labor savings. we had to a bit of troubleshooting and maintenance this summer but otherwise zero problems. ours is 4x6 and stays at 37*
Wait, I just looked this CoolBot up. It's a controller with sensors just right? And you use a standard window a/c unit rated at 12,000 BTU?
This seems too easy... Wondering if I could find a way to put one in our sub-basement. Problem is there's no windows and the outside ground level is less than a foot below the ceiling of the sub-basement. I would need a different type of a/c unit. Perhaps one of the over doorway style units...

Wait, I just looked this CoolBot up. It's a controller with sensors just right? And you use a standard window a/c unit rated at 12,000 BTU?
This seems too easy... Wondering if I could find a way to put one in our sub-basement. Problem is there's no windows and the outside ground level is less than a foot below the ceiling of the sub-basement. I would need a different type of a/c unit. Perhaps one of the over doorway style units...
The cool not website gives the specs on necessary equipment and insulation rating for size, temp etc. yes you would need to figure out exhaust but maybe Lower requirements due to the location. :idunno CoolBot does have very good customer service to help figure these things out!

Okay, downloaded that, thank you @TJAnonymous for the helpful link. DH is a professional handyman, so I'm already crunching numbers in my head, lol. I have several options for locations, but this is a project unlikely to see the light of day until next year at least.

@BullChick I feel you. My sciatica is pregnancy triggered, so when the baby gets here, it'll go away. But I can't imagine dealing with it on a regular basis long-term. It seriously messes up a lot of normal, everyday type things you wouldn't even think about...

Good morning gardeners. I made some progress on the rooster pen yesterday. The painted clean-out door looks nice and I found a little wooden handle to make it easy to open. Still need to put in some more work before it's photo ready. I managed to sneak in a quick paint job on the Adirondack chairs after painting the door. Busy morning today. After feeding and watering the chickens, I planted a row of Dinosaur kale (aka black lettuce) and a row of rutabagas. I picked a few more green beans, but nothing else is ready yet. The jalapeno plants are loaded and doing really well. The peaches are starting to get bigger so I may have some picking to do soon. I ordered my stove pellets for the winter to catch the early bird prices. It's only a total of $18 more than last year. Now I have to clean the garage so they fit. Not much else planned for the garden today. This is laundry day and I want to take advantage of the cooler temps and make bread today. I found a recipe on the Old Farmer's Almanac site for farmhouse bread that I thought I would give a try. The cool room for food storage sounds great, but as @WthrLady pointed out the heat and humidity needs somewhere to go. They do make portable AC units that you can vent using an exhaust pipe like a dryer. Just a thought. I have a large freezer and a full size refrigerator in my basement that provides enough cool storage for me. That part of the basement is always a little cooler than the main part so that where I store my canned goods. Even on the hottest summer days, it's still the coolest part of the house.

Walk and breakfast had.
Laundry loads running.
I need to spray weeds around the firebreak and take a hoe to the few garden ones.

All the jars sealed perfectly yesterday, but my headspace went from half and inch to almost 2! I didn't have goop in the canner water so it must have been excess compaction from the puree. Next time I'll cook it down more. I didn't use a lot of meat tomatoes yesterday and I was on autopilot.

If I can find italian plums this week, I'll put up some duck sauce.

Back
Top Bottom