What did you do in the garden today?

It was hot yesterday, but cool now with a nice sprinkling rain. I've been painting my bedroom and pulling out carpet before we put in carpet tiles. Painting the old woodwork the same color as the walls in a semigloss (satin finish on walls). I think It will look bigger if not broken up by doors, etc. It is also really nice not worrying about a bit of paint transfer between walls/wood. Both are breezeway by behr. I really want to remove the popcorn ceiling, but I don't know if I'll go there yet....

Just maintaining in the garden, but I need to plant some more seeds while it is nice out.

Good morning gardeners. Great weather. A little cool, but sunny in the morning and warming to low to mid 70's. Yesterday was busy working on the rooster coop. The outside walls are all freshly painted and I put a piece of trim along the roof's edge. Today I'm removing what was meant to be his entry door and trimming it and painting it before reinstalling. I'm still putting hinges on it so I can use that for easy cleaning. This guy does not tolerate a dirty coop. We discovered that he really, really likes a smaller door opening and a dark, quiet little space to hang out. He really loves it like that. I also replaced his roosting bar because the original 2 x 3 inch was cracked and was bending. I have it positioned so it will be easy to lower it as he gets older. Behr paint is my favorite @Sooner Magnolia. A good quality paint but a little more affordable than some other way "over advertised" brands. This morning after feeding the chickens and letting Randy take his morning stroll around the chicken yard, I picked a few green beans, some yellow squash that were determined to stay small, some basil and chard. I also prepped the bed where I'm planting the Dinosaur kale and collards. That will likely be happening tomorrow. I doubt if I'll get any corn from my little three sisters patch. I have two stalks right now that have tassels but most of the stalks are really short. I put bamboo poles and ran string between them to give the pole bean vines a place to hang on. At least I should have lots of green beans and butternut squash from that little experiment. Now that the July monsoon is over the tomato plants are looking a little better. Looking at the leaves closely, they actually don't have early blight. I just think they're losing leaves due to overwatering or a lack of some nutrient. But they are all still producing, so that's a good thing.

Hi everyone, a lovely sunny day here, so working in the garden is delightful.

I kept cleaning the raised beds and transplanting the next batch of seedlings. The leftover belongs to our girls, they are the winners!
28838.jpg

28836.jpg

28837.jpg

Some are "treasure boxes" for them because some worms are hiding somewhere.

28845.jpg

All these pea seedlings are now transplanted.
28823.jpg

managed the mowing - forgot the sunscreen
dry air and only 80 with a breeze that has moved most, but not all, of the smoke out

had to tie up the sunflowers as they are at 10 feet and broke loose of their supports

5 qts of puree is ready for the pantry after washing and labeling the jars.
I decided to keep a log of what, how much in, how much out and method of preservation this year. So I can stop relying on memory everytime.

Picked peaches. I thought there wasn't as many as I seen months ago when they were all green and small. I knew a few fell from wind/storms, but then my neighbor told me she has been finding half eaten peaches in her yard being left by squirrels. 🤬 Odd thing is they were taking them from my yard into my neighbors yard so I never knew they were rampaging the tree because there was know evidence for me to see. Although these peaches could go a few more days on the tree, I went straight to Farm and Fleet and picked up a fruit picker. I picked every peach today except two very green ones to get what harvest was left. I for 15. Not the worst harvest for the tree's first fruiting year, but I know I should have had at least double that.

20210801_191712.jpg

Back
Top Bottom