What did you do in the garden today?

Don't some seeds need light as well as humidity to germinate?
Yes, actually. But most vegetable seeds just need warm, moist (that's your humidity) soil. There are some plants that need light, which is why some seeds are just raked into the soil. Thyme comes to mind as a photosensitive seed. Many perennials can be tricky to start from seeds with light, freezing periods, seed surface abrasion, and soaking/stratification being some of the factors to consider.

Yes, actually. But most vegetable seeds just need warm, moist (that's your humidity) soil. There are some plants that need light, which is why some seeds are just raked into the soil. Thyme comes to mind as a photosensitive seed. Many perennials can be tricky to start from seeds with light, freezing periods, seed surface abrasion, and soaking/stratification being some of the factors to consider.
Yeah....I currently have some seeds stratifying in the garage. :)

No, they need warmth and humidity. 🙂 I guess it won't hurt but I don't think they need it. You can do whatever. I like your set up. I use artificial lights so I can hover the lights right above the sprouts.

https://www.epicgardening.com/do-seeds-need-light-to-germinate/
Don't accept "no" as your default to light needs of seeds. From that same article you linked:
"The basic foundational needs of growing are light, water, and soil. These three contribute to photosynthesis. Degrees of these essential elements are required, but sometimes sunlight or light, in general, is not necessary to sprout seeds. Sometimes sun inhibits seeds that germinate in darkness.
Some seeds don’t need light to break through their seed casings and sprout. Most seeds germinate best with controlled amounts of UV generation, but there are seeds that germinate in the absence of light.
Furthermore, there are plants that get enough just light in highly shady areas of a garden or even in darkness."

While it's true that some seeds will sprout without light, there are many that require varying degrees of light to sprout.

Note: I intend this as informational, not argumentative nor to negate you.

Don't accept "no" as your default to light needs of seeds. From that same article you linked:
"The basic foundational needs of growing are light, water, and soil. These three contribute to photosynthesis. Degrees of these essential elements are required, but sometimes sunlight or light, in general, is not necessary to sprout seeds. Sometimes sun inhibits seeds that germinate in darkness.
Some seeds don’t need light to break through their seed casings and sprout. Most seeds germinate best with controlled amounts of UV generation, but there are seeds that germinate in the absence of light.
Furthermore, there are plants that get enough just light in highly shady areas of a garden or even in darkness."

While it's true that some seeds will sprout without light, there are many that require varying degrees of light to sprout.

Note: I intend this as informational, not argumentative nor to negate you.
I understand. That's why I linked the article.
Personally I cover my seeds until they sprout, because that's what my first kit said to do, I understand all seeds are different.

I've received seeds with a big "40% germination rate" sticker on them. I'd probably keep anything above 0% but label with % and date.
I have 88 total varieties of seed (total seed packets is over 94, and some of those are bulk seeds). Holy crap. I never actually added them all up before! :th

The seeds I'm testing are from 2017 or earlier, so I've decided to throw out the seeds that have 60% or less rate of germination. Then, if (for example) the basil seeds from 2010 are trash, I get to buy a NEW pack! :lau And that, while sad, is exciting!

I'm not scared of being judged as crazy because, in the words of Lewis Carroll: We're all mad here.

Back
Top Bottom