What did you do in the garden today?

Cool! How do you do that?
It’s so easy! Have you seen the no sew blankets with the tied fringes? It’s the same concept. Lay the tshirt flat. Cut off the arms and the neck band. Then cut from the bottom up about 4 inches and 1 inch apart to make a fringe. Then tie the fringe pieces together, one each front and back, to form the bottom of the bag and voilà! No sew and done in about five minutes. I’ve purchased some neat tshirts at Goodwill to make some of these as well.

@chickengr
Screenshot 2022-01-27 09.06.25.png

=====
Still too chilly to paint the hoop house PVC, so I think I'll stick to transplanting the horseradish and MAYBE putting up the lumber base frame and lifting a Tpost. It will be in the 50s this weekend, so I might wait another day and just spend the whole day out in the sun, instead of here and there in a coat.

Good frosty morning here all. The temps were -8F when I took poor Max out to pee this morning. Such a brave little guy. The chickens were waiting for me somewhat patiently to bring liquid water to them. They had kicked the frozen bottle off its pedestal and were all hovering by the door waiting. Like @Sueby, we are hunkering down for a Nor'easter this weekend. There's still at least 6 or 7 inches of frozen stuff on the ground now. Did I mention that after the slushy storm we had I couldn't get the snowblower completely cleaned off and of course it froze to the garage floor. Good grief. It took a few days of throwing the meltie stuff around it but I got it unstuck. DD parked it outside in the sun and cleaned the blades up while she was chicken and dog sitting last Friday. The plan is DD will be spending the weekend here. Living in an apartment complex, there's no telling how long she would be snowbound. I'm making the rounds for groceries and gasoline today. As for gardening: I just ordered seeds from Ferry Morse. They are local in Massachusetts. I'm going with acorn squash this year instead of butternut. I still need seed potatoes, but I haven't found any available yet. Worse case scenario I'll go to Whole Foods and get some organic spuds. The good news is there is a slight warming trend on the way. Thank goodness. This subzero stuff gets pretty old fast. Small refrigerators start around $200 here @TJAnonymous . That's only for a couple of cubic feet like the dorm sized fridges. But how many cartons of eggs are you storing? You get what you pay for, so if you go for the cheapest, you might be buying another one again soon. However, look into second hand appliance stores. You might get something reliable and affordable there. Best of luck. Oh, and as far as the garden: both the gates are frozen so only the squirrels can go there if they really want to. LOL!

I'm looking forward to the thaw next week too @Wee Farmer Sarah! This deep freeze & inches of ice with snow on top is getting old. I don't go out without my spiked shoes on. I can't believe your snowblower stuck to the floor! I mean I can, but ugh!

We're preparing for the snow, getting tractors ready, parking vehicles inside, filling food & waterers, etc. Got plenty of propane for the generator, should we need it. I'm hoping it goes out to sea tho.

A guy DH has been working closely with is home with the sniffles, his DD has COVID. Gosh I hope we don't get it. I'm in too much pain from the Lupus to deal with COVID on top right now. 🤞

@chickengr View attachment 2974181

=====
Still too chilly to paint the hoop house PVC, so I think I'll stick to transplanting the horseradish and MAYBE putting up the lumber base frame and lifting a Tpost. It will be in the 50s this weekend, so I might wait another day and just spend the whole day out in the sun, instead of here and there in a coat.
This has to be unseasonably warm for you, right? I never imagined Nebraska as warmer than me in Chicago area.

I'm still feeling pretty cruddy today but have to work regardless. At least I can work from home.... Thank goodness for small favors. Scrambled up some of the frozen eggs to give the chickens a hot breakfast on a cold morning. I'm sure they appreciated it but I'm equally sure my battered lungs did not....

On the sunny side of life, my seed starts are doing well. Only 1 lavender and 1 eggplant hasn't sprouted. Oh, and the tobasco peppers but I just planted them a few days ago so I didn't expect them to come up yet. Some of the sprouts are almost to the top of the pan cover already! I took the cover off this afternoon just to give them some direct sunlight. Hopefully the loss of humidity in the exchange won't hurt them...

20220127_123815.jpg

Back
Top Bottom