What did you do in the garden today?

Covered the tomato plants to hopefully keep the stink bugs off them.
Tomatoes covered with netting.jpg

A common old timer coon deterrent is to simply pee in/around the corn patch. I can't tell you how well it works. I think the coons here are brazen enough that they'd simply get into a p!$$!ng contest. I can tell you that urine is sterile, high nitrogen, loaded with other nutrients, makes a great conditioner for hay bale gardening, and is a great compost amendment.
Just relocated a family of coons recently. Took time to live trap them all. Mom and a few babies. Took them to the Ocala National Forest. Found a huge tree with a hole in it. Let them out and the young ones followed moma up to the hiding place.
The coons were damaging and terrorizing one of our breeding houses. Thank goodness it was built with chainlink. They can chew thru standard chicken wire.

@Farmer Connie Can you take cuttings from some of your vines and root them in water for a later crop? This might help get you started with some fall tomatoes.
Depending on your location, you might start some cucumber seed in some large pots that will drain easily until the rains quit so you will have some to harvest.
We would love to have the rain here in central Oklahoma...I'm running the sprinkler system to stay ahead of the dry winds and high temperatures. We are inches below our normal for the year and the really high heat hasn't hit yet.

@Farmer Connie Can you take cuttings from some of your vines and root them in water for a later crop? This might help get you started with some fall tomatoes.
Depending on your location, you might start some cucumber seed in some large pots that will drain easily until the rains quit so you will have some to harvest.
We would love to have the rain here in central Oklahoma...I'm running the sprinkler system to stay ahead of the dry winds and high temperatures. We are inches below our normal for the year and the really high heat hasn't hit yet.
Actually have a dozen tiny tom plants, several cukes and a little eggplant in the garage on a service cart. Got to wheel it to the sun light daily, little sun we get anyway. It was for a back up plan if bugs were to infest the older plants. We eat a lot of salads with dinner. Awesome to pick stuff of the vine as you need it. Bit the weather is interfering with that luxury. Bummer.
Even the tons of goat poo we snow shovel to create homemade fertilizer has washed away!
Just had to put new blades on the mower. Using it every 3 to 5 days to keep the Bahia sprouts from seeding our legs.
Not whining just discouraged about investing so much time to sow and care for my veggies, just to watch them slowly wilt and wither.
Time to build a small green house but the funds aren't in our favor right now. Oh well... It is what it is.
Blessed to have what we have and there is always someone who has it harder than the next. Great to be alive!

Just taking a morning break from harvesting and trimming and tying up my green monsters. Connie! Oh I'm sad to see your situation. I know how it feels when Mother Nature thwarts all your efforts. I'm sure we've all been in your gardening clogs, or boots, before.

I'll snap some more pics later. Got to document my harvests for my garden journal anyway. My peppers aren't doing a whole lot yet, but my tomatoes and bush beans are sure making up for them. Cukes are really heating up now. Almost time for making pickles. I'm between carrot harvests as the early cool weather one are long done, but the mid season ones aren't near ready and the fall ones yet to be sown. Okra is just blooming; those will make canned gumbo base, okra with tomatoes, and pickled okra if they do well this year. I have such mixed results with okra here. Cantaloupes are continuing to bloom their heads off, but no fruit set noted yet.

My chicks are scheduled to ship tomorrow! I'm expecting them to make it to my post office overnight, since Ideal is not that far from DFW. Final adjustments to my seedling mat brooder heater will be made. We are expecting only 90's this coming week, so actually not as hot as it has been already. And I'm picking up the last couple of things I'll want to have handy today, like some Corid and Blu-Kote. You never know, and I like to be prepared!

Hope y'all have time to enjoy some garden peace today.

Odd we have clouds in the morning giving way to sun more summer type weather here finally but just low to mid 70's and we have no humidity here or like 100% me thinks did never study the weather stuff

I'm harvesting dill seed this week, drying it and storing for making pickles. We had our first ripe tomatoes with lunch today.
A rat has decided that he wants my first cantaloupe so it is now covered with a plastic ice cream bucket and I'm on rat watch with the 22. Found raccoon droppings under the pear trees this morning so I'll set the live trap this evening.
Rabbits are nibbling my bean sprouts...so they are on the hit list too.
If it isn't the rain, or the heat...it is the varmits. But that is life on the farm...nature wants some of the surplus. I don't mind sharing a little with them but I want to determine what gets shared.

Back
Top Bottom