What did you do in the garden today?

I've thinking it will be pumpkin or watermelon. So now I'm leaning strongly towards pumpkin. I'll let you know what I get. I am growing out zucchini and yellow squash. They both look different than the mystery plant. I had another mystery plant in the chicken yard, but every time it starts to put out flowers, the chickens manage to get to it & eat it back to just vine. I think it is a watermelon plant. It looks a bit different from the other mystery plant.

If your vine is a volunteer then what you grew last year are your choices . There are 4 main family groups of squash , pumpkin and gourd . They can only cross within their group only . If you tell what you grew I can help figure it out . I grow 1 from 3 different family groups and produce pure seed .

I have fresh potting soil in all the tires just started that this year.. needed to get a few things done mostly get more arugula and mustard planted already used what I had planted earlier

I didn't grow those, but I did throw out compost that had watermelon and pumpkins and maybe some zucchini.
Both of those are in the C. pepo group . They could cross with many squash and ornamental gourds . It is probably the largest group in the squash family . There are so called pumpkins in all 4 groups . Jack-o-lantern types are C. pepo . It is definately not watermelon .

I put a plethora of landscape plants into the ground today (4 varieties of hosta, heuchera, hydrangea, azalea, foam flower, speedwell, lamb's ear, coneflower, shasta daisies, ferns, bleeding hearts, etc.). Most were planted under the pine trees in front of our house, near the road, about 40-50' from our front door. After everything was in, my husband mentioned to me that he thinks I just wasted all my time and money because he thinks people are going to steal them. His parents, who live 1.5 miles from us, always lose anything they plant down by their drive. Apparently, people just drive up during the night, on a couple different occasions, and have dug up their freshly planted hostas and daylilies. (Their house is set far back from the road and they can not see the end of their drive from their house.) But, now I'm totally paranoid that someone is going to steal several hundred dollars worth of plants that I just spent all day putting in. Have any of you ever had a problem with people stealing any plants that were near the road?

I put a plethora of landscape plants into the ground today (4 varieties of hosta, heuchera, hydrangea, azalea, foam flower, speedwell, lamb's ear, coneflower, shasta daisies, ferns, bleeding hearts, etc.). Most were planted under the pine trees in front of our house, near the road, about 40-50' from our front door. After everything was in, my husband mentioned to me that he thinks I just wasted all my time and money because he thinks people are going to steal them. His parents, who live 1.5 miles from us, always lose anything they plant down by their drive. Apparently, people just drive up during the night, on a couple different occasions, and have dug up their freshly planted hostas and daylilies. (Their house is set far back from the road and they can not see the end of their drive from their house.) But, now I'm totally paranoid that someone is going to steal several hundred dollars worth of plants that I just spent all day putting in. Have any of you ever had a problem with people stealing any plants that were near the road?
Haven't had plants stolen, but several people stopped and picked flowers. Someone did take a big flat sandstone rock that probaby weighed 100 pounds. It was the grave marker for my 19 year old cat. She used to lay on the stone while I worked in the rock garden and front flower beds. So I had buried Mauvis under her rock. Couldn't believe anyone would take that. We live on an asphalt two lane highway.

I used to plant flowers out front as a goodwill gesture . Finally quit once people started digging them up . Taking seeds or a small start I was ok with . Asking was a plus . Taking entire plants was the last straw .

Back
Top Bottom