What did you do in the garden today?

Today will be a true Spring weather day! I am loving it! The sun is shining, it'll go up to the 60s, & thankfully the wind is down to a breeze. We do have more rain coming, possibly sprinkles tonight, but I won't think about that today.

Went to Home Depot 7am to get materials for jobsite, will be there tomorrow through Saturday, but today, it's Garden Time!

My flock will be helping till, so I will be sure to get a few photos, too. I absolutely ❤️ gardening with 🐔 😊
There's something so very joyful about a chicken digging & scratching with enthusiasm, as a Rooster chortles about a sweet treat he found for his girls. I love them so much. A hen jumping up to reach something to peck at, makes me laugh out loud, too.

I planted a dozen Blueberry plants, a variety of types, a couple of years ago. Some have done tremendously well, a few not well at all, a couple have died. After reading up on what they grow well next to, I've decided to relocate them to an area not far from a large Pine tree & Azalea. I know...not the best time to dig them up, but I will dig a huge ball of soil, hopefully they will relocate ok, by taking extra care. They'll get full sun where I place them, but also get the benefit of more acidic soil & I can spread some Pine needles over where they'll be.

I'm really trying to brush up on knowledge of companion & synergy planting in general. Also, I'm going to fence in & cover a huge area so chickens can free range safely. (Getting Pheasant type netting). So the blueberries must be moved anyway.

Last edited:
😆 Holy Toledo!
That's A Garden Torpedo!
Screenshot_20240409_100741_Chrome.jpg

I know, that is why I let them live in my garden, but now they have taken it over, and their roots are strangling my fruit trees 😩 they are great as a spring „cleaning“ for the body, I usually puree fresh young leaves with garlic , olive oil and a pinch of salt/lemon, put it on my bread . It is very healthy for chickens, the young ones get chopped nettles with cooked eggs, the adult chickens get dried nettles in their food , but as I said, they have taken over the garden during the time I wasn’t allowed to bend 😮

I know, that is why I let them live in my garden, but now they have taken it over, and their roots are strangling my fruit trees 😩 they are great as a spring „cleaning“ for the body, I usually puree fresh young leaves with garlic , olive oil and a pinch of salt/lemon, put it on my bread . It is very healthy for chickens, the young ones get chopped nettles with cooked eggs, the adult chickens get dried nettles in their food , but as I said, they have taken over the garden during the time I wasn’t allowed to bend 😮
I never knew much about Nettles, but yes, we seem to have some here & there. I just learned although they can be a pain (quite literally when you brush past one with bare skin) & they can get crazy invasive if given a chance, they also have many positive aspects. I like to learn, so let me share what I just found. I've let some grow in my wildflower areas, glad I did.

https://greenecofriend.co.uk/nettles-in-your-garden/

https://www.growveg.com/guides/why-nettles-are-great-for-your-garden/

https://plantura.garden/uk/herbs/stinging-nettle/stinging-nettle-uses

Back
Top Bottom