What did you do in the garden today?

Speaking of canned tomatoes, DP opened a jar from last season and not only did the lid not hiss when opened, I could smell fermentation when she brought it to me to check. I've had seals fail before but this is the first time I could smell it. :confused:
I hate when I forget to check the lid before I open it, I've wasted so many jars of stuff that way - when I open it I question if it felt a little easy to open & then I get all crazy paranoid & throw it out. I've been canning for so many years, you'd think I'd be better at this. :gig

ETA: ooohhh, I tried again a couple days ago to talk DH into moving out to PNW after retiring. He's softening. LOL

is there such a thing as tomato math. ?? I don't need any more canned tomato products, so why do I think I need to have tomato plants? Anyone else.
I think so, I only wanted 40 tomatoes... I now have 61. I'm literally inventing places to plant them. I don't know why I did this to myself. I think the chickens are going to have a few tomato plants in the orchard to enjoy. 😂 However I do need to can tomatoes. Had a bunk harvest last year so I only got two cases of ripe tomatoes canned.

I thought about trying nettle. I watched a video and the guy said really not that bad. My mind said really not that good. Talked myself out of it. Today is 6 weeks since wart removal. Nearly healed. Walking almost normal. It made my back and left knee hurt because of walking funny. Back and knee are much better. Rain coming mid afternoon.

Yesterday was so awesome weather-wise, today we have rain coming, then very windy Friday with 50mph gusts. Humidity & wind really kick my butt, arthritis & fibromyalgia, sinus headaches, the works. Yesterday I felt & worked like I was 20 & today I am paying the price, feeling old, sacroiliac pain along with a barometric headache. Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad, right?

I can't paint on the jobsite til Sat & Sun, so today I can rake what I tilled, before it rains. (After I pop 2 Aleve). I wanted to spread the wildflower seeds in that tilled section, but with high winds I will hold off. I use straw over top of the seed so I can wait a few days, no sense letting wind blow straw all over. After raking this morning I will be washing & crating eggs for market, pickling some eggs for us, & potting about 50 house plants...my house plants had baby plants & I rooted them.
Screenshot_20240411_100256_Chrome.jpg

Chlorophytum comosum, usually called spider plant or common spider plant due to its spider-like look, also known as spider ivy, airplane plant, ribbon plant (a name it shares with Dracaena sanderiana), and hen and chickens, is a species of evergreen perennial flowering plant of the family Asparagaceae.

The tomato sprouts...I guess they're growing, but darn, seems like slow motion to me. I brought them outside yesterday as it was 70s & sunny. They did like sunshine, after so many cloudy rainy days here.
But "Something" ate a few sprouts tender leaves off! What kind of bug would do that? The little jerk ate a few then took off before I could see the culprit that did this dastardly deed.

20240411_101813.jpg

I got the Brussel sprout seeds & 2 other types of tomato seeds started. Got more canning jars at Dollar General.

So...on a kind of funny note, I was in the newer chicken coop, which still is not completely finished, and I saw a visitor slither in. This 12x24 shed used to be a wood shop & I often found perfectly intact shed skins, some quite long. I donated them to Prime Hook refuge for educational purposes. Anyway, they're good mousers, so I left them alone. Rick despises & is quite fearful of them, so I figured I'd better relocate this one. If Rick has seen it, not sure if he would just run from it or kill it. So I took it for a ride, a safer place, huge natural growing area, where no one will mess with him/her. I asked Rick to drive but he wouldn't even come out of the house when he saw me holding it! I drove 1 handed & I have to tell ya, Mr./Ms. Snake was a better passenger than Rick...no backseat driving! 😆 I told Rick, he'd better be nice to his Lady Snake Wrangler, here. Lol
20240410_120015.jpg 20240410_120349.jpg

Too long to get whole body in 1 pic while holding, had to take 3
20240410_120610.jpg 20240410_120608.jpg 20240410_120605.jpg

See ya later, hope I don't regret this...snake will be happy but I may miss a good mouser
20240410_120636(0).jpg 20240410_120638.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday was so awesome weather-wise, today we have rain coming, then very windy Friday with 50mph gusts. Humidity & wind really kick my butt, arthritis & fibromyalgia, sinus headaches, the works. Yesterday I felt & worked like I was 20 & today I am paying the price, feeling old, sacroiliac pain along with a barometric headache. Oh well, gotta take the good with the bad, right?

I can't paint on the jobsite til Sat & Sun, so today I can rake what I tilled, before it rains. (After I pop 2 Aleve). I wanted to spread the wildflower seeds in that tilled section, but with high winds I will hold off. I use straw over top of the seed so I can wait a few days, no sense letting wind blow straw all over. After raking this morning I will be washing & crating eggs for market, pickling some eggs for us, & potting about 50 house plants...my plants have baby plants & I rooted them.
View attachment 3798209

Chlorophytum comosum, usually called spider plant or common spider plant due to its spider-like look, also known as spider ivy, airplane plant, ribbon plant (a name it shares with Dracaena sanderiana), and hen and chickens, is a species of evergreen perennial flowering plant of the family Asparagaceae.

The tomato sprouts...I guess they're growing, but darn, seems like slow motion to me. I brought them outside yesterday as it was 70s & sunny. They did like sunshine, after so many cloudy rainy days here.
But "Something" ate a few sprouts tender leaves off! What kind of bug would do that? The little jerk ate a few then took off before I could see the culprit that did this dastardly deed.

View attachment 3798211

I got the Brussel sprout seeds & 2 other types of tomato seeds started. Got more canning jars at Dollar General.

So...on a kind of funny note, I was in the newer chicken coop, which still is not completely finished, and I saw a visitor slither in. This 12x24 shed used to be a wood shop & I often found perfectly intact shed skins, some quite long. I donated them to Prime Hook refuge for educational purposes. Anyway, they're good mousers, so I left them alone. Rick despises & is quite fearful of them, so I figured I'd better relocate this one. If Rick has seen it, not sure if he would just run from it or kill it. So I took it for a ride, a safer place, huge natural growing area, where no one will mess with him/her. I asked Rick to drive but he wouldn't even come out of the house when he saw me holding it! I drove 1 handed & I have to tell ya, Mr./Ms. Snake was a better passenger than Rick...no backseat driving! 😆 I told Rick, he'd better be nice to his Lady Snake Wrangler, here. Lol
View attachment 3798219View attachment 3798220

Too long to get whole body in 1 pic while holding, had to take 3
View attachment 3798223View attachment 3798224View attachment 3798225

See ya later, hope I don't regret this...snake will be happy but I may miss a good mouser
View attachment 3798226View attachment 3798227
We regularly catch and relocate at least a half dozen black rat snakes every summer. We get King snakes too but I let them stick around since they kill copperheads. 😊

We regularly catch and relocate at least a half dozen black rat snakes every summer. We get King snakes too but I let them stick around since they kill copperheads. 😊
We had Copperheads when I lived 100 miles north, but I don't think there are many in this area...I could be wrong about that, though. I really don't go around seeking them out lol.

Last edited:
The last of my vegetable seeds are germinating! Spaghetti Squash, Zucchini, Saffron squash, Butternut, pumpkins, watermelon, cucumbers, 2 types of tomatoes, and 3 types of potatoes…

It’s rainy here today, my mural had to wait.

I will be working in the yard Sunday while the kids play and while my husband works on our coop.

Attachments

• 433ED10A-0C87-46D7-B33C-B67EAD938710.jpeg
    433ED10A-0C87-46D7-B33C-B67EAD938710.jpeg
    621.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom