What did you do in the garden today?

My cherries are getting ready to bloom. But i dont have a pollinator i messed up when i bought my pair. So now i will be the crazy lady down at the in laws with a blush brush trying to collect pollen from their tree to bring home. Started some herbs yesterday. Anybody here have huckleberries, i have some on the way from the seed swap and i am getting their spot ready anything i should do to it special?

I noticed my cherry tree blooming today too. We bought a self-fertilizing one and it is loaded with blooms and we have bees floating around so I'm hoping it will get fertilized well. I think you grow huckleberries like blueberries with a more acid soil. We actually have blueberries in pots that we dress with fertilizer for acid loving plants first when they are starting to leaf out and then again when they start to bloom.

Today was a great day in the garden. First I got new seeds from the seed swap in the mail to plant, then I went out and found my snap peas were finally blooming. Next I noticed my cherry tree was covered in blooms. And then, the epitomy of everything else, I went in the greenhouse and noticed I have a TOMATO set on one of my early tomatoes! I guess planting them early and keeping them warm and hauling them in and out of the house paid off. We also got the rest of the straw bales planted and used most of the straw we cut out for planting to plant the rest of our potatoes that we hadn't got out yet. All in all, I'd say it was a very productive and excellent day in the garden!!

Today I spent about 3 hours hoeing weeds out of the garden, that job is very time consuming, but I also Hate seeing those little boogers in my garden. I can't say that it's too bad, I enjoy having the garden.

I weeded. Weeded. and weeded some more.

Our veggie garden is about 24x24 fenced area with 6 raised beds and then a short raised bed all around the inside of the fence for flowers and other stuff. The paths between beds have been degrassed and sprayed for what I couldn't get pulled. All beds have been weeded and degrassed. The perimeter beds have been weeded, degrassed and seeded with some herbs and flowers.

Then I weeded the garden along the fence near the house, cut and added another layer of landscape timbers to raise it up a bit so I could add more mulch, added more mulch and seeded a few things in there.

Weeded the beds by the front door. Put a yellow hibiscus out there to plant later this week.

Weeded the bed around the mail box.

Weeded the beds by the garage and added what I had left for mulch out there.

Added another layer or two of landscape timbers on the beds around the duck pond. Need to fill that with some more dirt and then try some more plants and mulch.

All beds have been weeded other than the daylily bed around the tree which is full of wild blackberry bushes which I want gone! Tried some brush remover on some wild blackberry bushes to see if it will work before buying the big jug and going crazy on all the blackberries around. I'm sick of being stuck by them all the time. And I don't even like blackberries - only the doberman does!

I kind of want to go get more mulch so I can finish and maybe a few more flowers to stuff in some of the beds.

Worked on a new raised bed along the west side of the chicken pen. Plan on growing winter squash and melon vining up the fence and over the top to help shade the run in the hot of summer. I may try to see if I can grow birdhouse ghord somewhere in the mix too.

Watered everything in our bizarre weather. Hot one day, cold the next, then hot all over again. Geepers. Poor plants.

Pulled up 4 bok choy plants, one was covered in aphids, one had bolted, so both of those went to the chickens. Ate the other two for dinner last night with the last cabbage head, two heads of broccoli and a huge bunch of swiss chard, all from the garden and so good! (I made a pressure cooker version of stir fry).

The only cold weather crops I have left is brussel sprouts but I think with the high temps we're having (94 today) that they'll probably bolt before we can eat them.

Weeded here too! Lol picked some early blackberries, collected a few more cups of snow peas (i chopped these in half when they stopped making peas and they started growing again and MORE peas! Yay), pulled a couple leeks and a head of green romaine! I love eating right out of the garden. I took some pictures (i like pictures as stuff grows or of specifics I need to look up later) I let loose about 500 assassin bugs and 500 ladybugs - my mini army against bad bugs & turned the compost pile (whew)

Last edited:
Pulled weeds, put down weed block, and finished putting in geraniums. Here's area by driveway selected for color addition......all in now and rain starting. Sitting on porch just looking.....hopeing to not be too sore in the mormimg for work, but couldn't wait til next weekend to see this area all finished (for now).

I was watering my onion seedlings and I found these tiny mushrooms growing in one of the folded newspaper pots. The odd thing is that I used a bagged soil mix, so I was surprised any spores found their way in, unless they were borne on the newspaper. Can anyone ID the fungus? Should I remove it or can I leave it for my own amusement?

I couldn't get anything done in my gardens today, unless I wanted to swim out to them or row a boat!
hit.gif
I'm hoping the weather will clear up soon or I think my chickies will float away.

We got our garden put in this weekend, so I spent yesterday putting tarps across the fencing around the garden. Severe downbursts were supposed to hit yesterday evening, and they did. So glad I put tarps up! Everything doing fine under there - we didn't want them getting flattened and have to restart the planting. Everything but the peppers is planted. They still need a bit of maturing before transplanting, so they will go in in another week or so. Potted some persian buttercups, aloe, and put some tulips into a bed beside the driveway. Weeded the garden path a bit. Mostly just watching and waiting!

Back
Top Bottom