What did you do in the garden today?

Today I added to and turned the compost, Prepped a a row and planted spinach transplants and broadcast seed, planted a couple potatoes and more snap peas...
(All we are saying, is give peas a chance!:love).

Harvested kale (about a bushel), a dozen peppers, an equal number of cheery tomatoes, a couple zucchini along with a serving size of green beans from a couple lingering plants. Should have harvested a couple bok choi. Pulled the last rows of corn stalks.

Signed up a total newbie to gardening for our Community Garden. Has no idea whatsoever, but then again, these folks can be the most passionate.

At home, I planted transplants and broadcast seed of lettuce for da boids Anyone ever given your girls "Kitty Greens" (oats)?

All in all, a good gardening day.

Anyone ever given your girls "Kitty Greens" (oats)?

I bought a 10 lb bag of organic oats and we sprout them during the winter in a 24" x 12" tray. We tear off a chunk every day for the girls, and of course the kitties have full access! It's a great winter substitute for the lack of grazing grass.

Had to work in the big city today so no fun in the garden.

I tried Dragon tougue. And yard long. Both failed to thrive because I didn't provide a good location. A coop needed summer shade but the soil was not prepped well. The following year in a new location, the bush bean plants were small despite the great soil and long day of sun.

Can u share bean cultivation methods?
Hmmm--if you have great soil and long sunny days, yard longs should do fine. Did you put the yard longs on a teepee or trellis? It sounds like you did it right, the only thing I can think of is adding a couple inches of compost. Good luck!!

Looks like winter is finally arriving :wee
with snow and temps in the teens by Saturday. Today, I've been prepping...stacked seasoned wood in a rick on the porch, swapped out the screens for plexi in all but two vent windows in the coop, fired up the generator and topped off the gas, and winterized the plumbing in the camper. My wife is in town filling up the gas cans and hitting the grocery store. Can't be too prepared, every year we get power outages of more than a week after some storm, and about every 2-3 years we get snowed or iced in for a while. Our driveway is a long steep hill up from the cabin so we are vulnerable to getting stuck. If it looks bad, I'll park the 4WD at the top of the drive so we can hike up and have a way out. The price of living in the great beyond :D

Warm weather until Thursday. :p Then 30's the rest of the week. It's almost like it's nearly winter or something? I'm excited for the snow to actually hit. It's very late this year.
I got the new bed squared up and put in a good 20 gallons of compost. :) I tilled it into the top of the bed. Next I need to mulch it deeply for the winter. We get a lot of atmospheric nitrogen hitting the ground in winter from the snow so a nice thick carbon layer will help build the soil even better than before.
I also got one of the three older beds cleaned out, the newest one I made last year. My partner helped me. The soil is dramatically improved from this past spring (the mulch, root vegetables and clover have done wonders for it) but it needs a good load of my compost still. But all the weed growth, cover crops and old plants have been removed, and roots broken up in the top several inches. After I mix in compost I'll mulch that one really thickly as well.
I pulled out the last of the green onions, radishes and thyme and accidentally broke off a bunch of parsley. I gathered my basil seeds from the dead plants too. I'll be drying the herbs in my dehydrator over the next couple days. There's a LOT of big green onions. I'll probably have enough for the rest of the year until spring green onion growth starts again this way. The Tokyo long white green onions were exceptionally well producing this year. :)
I don't think I'm going to get my second new bed in before winter really hits, but one 15'x4' bed aint half bad and maybe I can slowly cobble together another bed over the winter using whatever warm dryish days we have available for working in, or early in the spring before planting days.

Back
Top Bottom