What did you do in the garden today?

Good Morning! I got a good amount of work done in the garden over the weekend. I turned the compost, finished off some dry brick steps leading up my chicken coop and started work on terracing the garden patch!

I got the first terrace down and next weekend I'll do another. Maybe if I'm feeling spicy I'll do two more! I found some deer poop in the garden area while I was digging around so now I'm concerned about the fate of my future garden!

I'm traveling all week so no garden work until the weekend! Eep!

Good morning, does anyone in the group have a hobby sized greenhouse they start seeds in or grow in for a whole season? How large is it and how has it helped or hurt what your growing? My wife is considering getting me one for my birthday so she claims and I'm trying to research to get something most appropriate.
Currently, I have a small 5 shelf portable greenhouse I use to start seeds in but thats about all I use it for. I'd love to grow some container veggies that are more dependent on a steady not to hot climate. Thanks for any advice. Stay warm to those of you in colder regions battling the January freeze!
I started to build a greenhouse 2 years ago and then I stopped and took it down, re-purposing the lumber on other projects. i have considered getting one from Harbor Freight. i would need to reinforce the framing a bit and put some sort of cross members over the poly panels because they are know to blow out in strong winds. I think it would be worth while though and wouldn't break the bank. I would suggest installing temp controlled louvers/vents and a fan (could be solar powered if you don't have electricity outdoors) to ensure it doesn't get too hot during the summer days. Water is a plus in a greenhouse also, but not a necessity by any means. A misting system and drip irrigation would be neat ideas, both could be run of a rain barrel even. As for keeping it warm and night to maintain steady temperatures, large bottles or buckets of water (closed with a lid) painted black will absorb heat during the day and emit it during the night.

Just some food for thought. I did quite a bit of research into greenhouse two years ago. :)

Thanks for the input. It is a bit over-whelming at this point still being young with this idea. I do have heat mats and grow lights for use in my smaller set-up but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on them long term. As others have indicated, I'm also concerned about secure setup on the property so it is protected as much as possible from storms and winds.

Some food for thought...
Pictures today only, no work, because furnace quit last night and technician just left, so i need to sleep. But here's what i have to work with:
20200121_150734_HDR.jpg

20200121_145732.jpg

20200121_145714_HDR.jpg

20200121_145708_HDR.jpg

You have you hands full there .... We lost the roof of the dome that was my greenhouse. Was allot bigger than what I need got messy .. had 2 greenhouses like form harbor freight sold both they are awful hated they never got put up huge mess... I am going to put up a little 8 x 10 building will use some panels clear to let light in

Some food for thought...
Pictures today only, no work, because furnace quit last night and technician just left, so i need to sleep. But here's what i have to work with:
View attachment 2008046
View attachment 2008044
View attachment 2008043
View attachment 2008042
Can you find all these items in the pictures?
(just for fun challenge):
Path lining weed blocking material
Bathtub
Concrete slab
Galvanized frame
Wooden dresser drawers for planters
Basement sink
Aluminum to sit planting beds on
Dirt pile
Coop compost (hint- dome covered)
Wheelbarrow
Patio furniture (cart chair sofa table umbrella ice chest bird bath grill...)
Doomed apple tree
Labor (5 helpers)
Thick solid wood shelf, very long
Scrap wood
Fire wood
Mushroom culturing wood

Back
Top Bottom