What did you do in the garden today?

Aloha Karen!
I'm pulling the asparagus because I have so little safe, functioning garden space and the asparagus is only good for a few weeks a few times out of the year. I'm thinking I will pot them up in nice big pots till I can find a better spot for them, they will probably do better directly in sandy loam topped w/ compost anyways... my bed is probably too rich :idunno I was thinking of onions and kale for that box instead, they wouldn't be soil snobs... :p
Hmm, I wonder how they would do if you just left them in a big pot to grow? Maybe a new container garden option.:idunno

Dreary, gray day here to day. My mood matches it. :lau
I definitely feel happier when the sun is shining and I can get outside to get some work done!

Hubby attached a gutter to the small coop to try to help with the mud situation and catch the rain water for later use. Only a couple of problems, it is sloped the opposite way it needs to be and I almost couldn't close the man door because the gutter is in the way! I did manage to force it past, but I wasn't sure if the gutter was going to break or crack or not!
:lau I guess that gives him something to do tomorrow!

20200217_170435.jpg

Only one I snapped today. I have a full build of last year's on my blog in January 2019 I think.
I'll decide on a color tomorrow. I was going to use an exterior color I already had, but it's too dark and will be too hot. My other one is tiffany blue.

Last edited:
This may be a VERY WET Spring (again)...https://weather.com/safety/floods/news/2020-02-13-spring-flood-risk-plains-midwest-south

Last year my garden flooded. The back 5-8ft were under 3-4" of water. I plant in raised rows, and raised beds, so all the plants were able to stay above water. Fortunately it was early enough in the season (early May I believe) that nothing and rooted deeply yet so I managed to avoid flooded roots. This Weather.com article states the high risk time for flooding is Feb-April, so I hope to avoid it. Last year it delayed farmers' crop planting in my area by a month. Many were in risk of missing deadlines.

On the plus side, the ground might be dry enough this weekend to put the tiller to work and begin the expansion work on the garden. It rained today, but Tuesday through Sunday looks like it should dry things up pretty well. Cool sunny weather means dry air that should evaporate the excess moisture. YES!!!
1581991351225.png

This may be a VERY WET Spring (again)...https://weather.com/safety/floods/news/2020-02-13-spring-flood-risk-plains-midwest-south

Last year my garden flooded. The back 5-8ft were under 3-4" of water. I plant in raised rows, and raised beds, so all the plants were able to stay above water. Fortunately it was early enough in the season (early May I believe) that nothing and rooted deeply yet so I managed to avoid flooded roots. This Weather.com article states the high risk time for flooding is Feb-April, so I hope to avoid it. Last year it delayed farmers' crop planting in my area by a month. Many were in risk of missing deadlines.
The last couple of years the farmer's fields in our area have been well under water when they should have already been planted. I know they were delayed as well, but not sure about how long. I always feel bad for them as I know they depend on a good harvest!

Back
Top Bottom